chapter sixteen

"Bye loves! Have a good day at school!" Louis calls after his sisters. He had walked Phoebe and Daisy to the bus stop, and Fizzy and Lottie had trailed behind them. The only people at the house were him and Harry, as Jay and Dan took the girls to daycare before they went off to work. It kind of upsets Louis that work has to happen, but that's the thing: work has to happen.

Louis watches with sad eyes as the bus pulls away from the stop sign, and then him and Harry are standing there, watching the cloud of dust fade away into the cool fall sky. The leaves have changed to orange and yellow, surrounding them in a wonderful world that reminds Louis of Halloween.

When Louis takes a breath, he feels more relieved. That is, until Harry is standing in front of him, grinning like a wanker.

"What?" Louis huffs, stepping out of the view so he can admire the trees and beautiful view of the neighborhood. "What, Harold?"

Harry goes to stand right in front of him again, grinning even more wankier than before.

"Man, Lou, I missed when you were obsessed with me. And when you used to blog about me and obsess over my legs." He puts his face closer to Louis', so that Louis can feel his warm breath on his cheeks, and it smells like the peppermint tea he was drinking. "You like my legs don't you?"

Louis catches his breath when Harry presses his whole body against his, so their legs are touching and warmth is going throughout his body.

"N-no, no they look better in pictures," he lies, desperately trying not to look like he is enjoying this, and when Harry pulls away, he is very thankful that he didn't make a fool of himself. "You're a twat, you know that right?"

"Actually, no, I didn't know. Enlighten me, Prince."

"That's it," Louis says, stepping farther away from the stupid curly-headed boy who is completely taking his whole chill. "That is it. No more playing around. I'm in charge here. We're at my old neighborhood, at my old bus stop, about to go to my old house. You're gonna back off, got it?"

He narrows his eyes when Harry bursts into laughter, a wonderful musical sound and wow Louis needs to stop letting himself be so in love with Harry's laugh. "You need to stop laughing. It's annoying. I think you're stupid. Such a knob." He shakes his head, biting his lip to contain his smile as Harry laughs harder.

When Harry calms down, he smiles. "Louis, you do realize that I think it is very adorable when you act like you're in charge."

Louis puts his face so close to Harry's that if he moved just an inch then they would probably be kissing. "I am in charge," he says lowly, challenging Harry's green eyes with his blue ones. "I have a better arse than you, I have better hair than you-"

"Whoa whoa whoa, stop right there," Harry interrupts. "You do have a better arse, but I got the curls, Lou. Can't argue with that."

Louis is taken off guard when Harry puts his hand on his waist to lead him towards the way back to his house. "Wait, Harry wait," he says.

They stop, and when Harry takes his hand away, Louis is sad.

"What?" Harry asks.

They stare at each other, and Louis makes sure that Harry is fully into their staring competition before he takes off running, his vans slapping loudly against the sidewalk. "Last one to the house is a rotten egg!" He calls, sprinting faster when he can hear Harry running behind him, screaming how unfair it is.

"Get over it, Harold!" Louis laughs, loving the feeling of the cool crisp air on his warm cheeks as he runs, runs so fast and he thinks that he should have been in track because these houses are zooming past him and he's going to fast and-