Chapter Number Seven

Yeah... we took long enough, huh? Well, we won't make you wait as long ever again XD

Chapter 7

Robin

Surprisingly I couldn’t sleep. My mind kept replaying that scene over and over again and each time; I shuddered, pulling my legs closer to my chest. He was just as bad as Cain if not worse. Yet why did my lips tingle at the thought of his on them?

I shook my head and huffed, dragging myself to my feet. By my side, Shadow raised his head and when I walked to the exit he followed with a grumble of annoyance.

At the entrance, I glanced back into the dark cave light only by the dimming fire and my eyes landed on Dante. He was curled up on his side with his back to Ana who seemed to keep trying to get as close to him as she could.

My fists clenched as I watched him sleeping and I yearned to hit him or maybe fling some hot burning branches on him. He was disgusting.

“Let’s go,” I mumbled hurrying out of the cave and skidding down the rocks to the ground. Shadow followed nimbly after and landed with a soft thud next to me. He whined quietly as I looked back up to the cave. “We need to find weapons.”

We trudged through the trees, weaving around the trunks and dodging the branches and random rocks. Within the forest the animals were alive, owls perched on branches eyeing me as I passed under them, rabbits and mouse’s scurried away as we walked. Insects twittered and zoomed by.

We wandered for a while more in relative peace until Shadow stilled, his ears twitching and before I knew it, he’d shot off into the trees.

“Shadow?” I called, peering into the darkness but he didn’t return.

A loud snarl split the night and I jumped glancing around. Something squealed in pain followed by a loud thump and the sound of ripping flesh. My heart was threatening to fly from my mouth as I waited in the following tense stillness.

“Shadow?”

Keeping a wary eye on the surrounding area, I edged toward where Shadow had disappeared and tiptoed through the gap in the trees and peered around. Twigs snapped around me and I whirled coming face to snout with Shadow, who had blood covering his fur.

He trotted over to me and snagged my top, tugging me with him. I followed hesitantly wondering what the hell had he done and let him lead into the darkness.

We broke through the trees and he jogged ahead of me and released a happy bark like noise. I frowned and slid closer before scrambling back covering my mouth. There was a dead dear splayed on the grass, it wide eyes stared lifeless at me. Its image wavered to that of my mother and I gagged, collapsing to my knees.

Shadow yipped proud of his accomplishment completely unaware of me. He moved around the dear and sniffed at it for a moment.

“Dinner?” I mumbled to myself. “You scared the life out of me for dinner?”

Shadow glanced over at me and whined as if he heard me. I grinned warily at him and pulled myself to my feet and wandered over to him, making sure my eyes never touched the dear. I patted his head and noticed his tail swing from side to side. The move reminded me so much of a dog that I choked on a laugh.

“Go on, eat,” I instructed. “I’m gonna go walk on ahead, catch up.”

He flicked his tongue over my fingers and pounced on the dear with a snarl. I turned and hurried back into the cover of the trees so I wouldn’t have to hear him tear it apart.  Seeing him catch his prey, reminded me that I hadn’t eaten in a while and my stomach decided to acknowledge it by rumbling.