Chapter 24

Liam

I was so nervous. Dani was by the dance floor sitting at a table talking to Jessamine and Eleanor and Niall, Zayn and Louis were standing beside me giving me loads of encouragement and assuring me that she was going to say yes. Harry was off somewhere with a friend. I had set this up with the DJ and at twelve o’clock he was going to stop the music and give me the microphone so that I could get every ones attention.

I wanted every ones attention when I asked the love of my life to be my wife.

Finally the clock struck twelve o’clock and I made my way over to the DJ to grab the microphone and then he turned the music off. I checked the pocket of my jeans to make sure that the ring was still there and as I walked across the dance floor every one moved so that I was walking towards Dani. My heart was beating a thousand miles per hour and I think that I forget to breathe.

“Liam what are you doing?” Dani breathed as I approached her with a stupid grin on my face. No matter how nervous I was I was more excited to ask her to marry me than I had ever been about anything.

I stopped when I got in front of her and got down on one knee and pulled out the ring box that was keeping the ring I had chosen safe. Dani’s face went from confusion to shock and almost mortified as she stared at me and watched my actions carefully. There were a few gasps in the crowd, “Danielle Claire Peazer, I have been in love you since we met. Will you do me the honour of being my wife?” I speak slowly because I don’t want to mess up the most important speech of my life so far. I look in to Dani’s eyes and my blood runs cold.

“Why didn’t you talk to me about this?” She whispers in a harsh tone. Why isn’t she crying and nodding her head like a maniac? Why isn’t she smiling like an idiot and jumping up and down? My heart beat slows down, I’m not excited and nervous, I’m absolutely petrified that she’s going to turn me down in front of nearly sixty people!

“Please?” I add as my palms become sweaty and my hands start to shake, I feel like I’ve just lost all the colour in my face and even though it’s quite chilly outside I’m sweaty.

“Liam…” Well that can’t be good.

“Dani,” I look at her with big eye and blink a few times thinking that maybe I was imagining things and she hadn’t just closed her eyes and shook her head no. Of course she didn’t, she loves me just as much as I love her!

“Liam I’m so sorry,” She blinks and before I know it she’s stood up from her seat at the table next to Jessamine and Eleanor and she’s high-tailing it out of Jess and Niall’s house. I just kneel there watching her walk away from me. The whole place is silent and everyone is staring at me. I just kneel there, I don’t know what I’m waiting for. I should get up and follow her. Ask her what the problem is but I just kneel there. The love of my life just rejected me in front of 60 people and most of them I don’t even know.

Jessamine is quickly in to action when the awkward silence continues. She stands up from her spot at the table where Danielle had been and she comes over to me and bends down so she’s close to my ear, “Come inside,” She says slowly and grips my hand and pulls me up. She pulls me inside as the others continue to stand there and gawk at me.

I don’t understand and as soon as Jess leads me in to the spare bedroom, which used to be Niall’s, she hugs me. She doesn’t have to say anything, I feel numb and I just don’t understand why Danielle couldn’t have said yes in front of all those people and pulled me aside to talk about whatever was bothering her. I was gutted and I wanted to cry, but men don’t cry. “It’s ok to cry you know,” Jess whispered softly as she hugged me gently and rubbed her hands on my back.