CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

The Big Apple

It took us the rest of the day to get to New York. The car journey was exhausting but it had to be done. I was relieved I didn’t have to drive these long distances anymore and Robert did.  Although he drove at terrifyingly fast speeds he was a good driver. I thought it was because of his vampire reflexes, he liked to say it was “pure skill”.

 As we were driving into the city I got a chance to look at New York’s skyline. And I had to admit it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life. But then again when the sky turned darker and we drove past Times Square I was torn between which one was better. My Jeep did look rather out of place driving through there but I didn’t mind. However Robert did, which I found very funny. He kept moaning at all the pedestrians pointing and laughing. I was more worried about my car though it was making a funny noise and I honestly thought it was about to die right there in the middle of Times Square.

“You need a new car.” Robert insisted for the fifth as we navigated our way through New York.

“I know, but I don’t have the money to buy a new car.” I laughed as we finally found the bar called Breeze Block. It was a very well lit place with people queuing around the block outside. We pulled up on the  curb and made our way towards the bar. The queue looked like it was going to take us all night to get inside. But to my delight the bouncer stopped me as we were walking to the back of the never ending queue.

“Carmen Shaw?” The big muscular man asked.

“Yes?”

“Monica’s been expecting you go straight to the office.” He instructed us opening the door for us to walk straight through. There were a few groans from the people waiting outside. The office was easy enough to find. It was straight at the back of the big bar and through a corridor.

“Carmen, I’ll pick you up in an hour or so. Casters and Vampires usually don’t get along.” He explained whilst grinning before kissing my cheek and leaving the bar. I knocked on the door before being told to come on in.

“I take it as you’re the famous Carmen Shaw?” The dark skinned, black haired woman asked.

“Famous, no. But yes I am Carmen.” I said outstretching my hand which she shook.

“My ancestor tells me the Dark Casters are moving against us. I wanted to make sure it was true before I signed up for anything. So do all the other light Casters.” She smiled offering me a seat.

“Well it is all true. To be honest with you I don’t really know what I’m doing, I was told you’d help me.” I commented nervously.

“Carmen half the time I don’t know what I’m doing either. You just figure it out as you go. But next you should go to New Jersey and then to New Orleans. Speak to a witch called Luna in Jersey, she lives in Hammonton. It will be easy enough to find her in such a small town. New Orleans though will be a struggle. The witch you’re look for is Bethany. Nobody knows where she is. You may need to use magic to find her. But after all of that head off to Salem. There are thousands of witches there good and bad. Go to Howard Street Cemetery many witches cast spells there at night and speak to the spirits.” She said writing it all down on a piece of yellow paper for me.

“Thank you so much, I really appreciate this Monica.” I smiled taking the paper off of her.

“Listen Carmen, when you get to Salem be careful. Don’t let anyone know who your roommate is up in that head of yours. Dark Casters will try and trick you to see who you really are. Word has already spread about you and those vampires plan. If you need help call me. My number is at the bottom of that paper.” And so it was. Of all the places I had yet to go I knew Salem was going to be the worst.

“Can you tell why I am going to all these places Monica?” I’d been wondering it for awhile and she knew so much already it was worth a try.

“You’re going not only so those vampires can’t get you. It’s also because you’re becoming out leader as well as Amelia. You will lead us into whatever battle we will face.” She said grimly. “Anyway, I bet your vampire boyfriend is waiting for you.” She mumbled teasingly. “Mhm that’s right, I know everything.”

I laughed at this and thanked her once again before leaving the building and see Robert leaning against a brand new black convertible Mercedes.

“Really? I leave you alone for what forty minutes and find you with a new Mercedes?” I laughed getting into the much more comfortable car. The leather seats felt so relaxing.

“You found me with your new Mercedes actually. You’re welcome by the way. And don’t worry I got you some new clothes as well. You know being a vampire does have its advantages.” I laughed with him as he roared the engine to life and we headed off on our next journey to New Jersey.