CHAPTER TWELEVE

Lies

Robert had brought me/dragged me back inside when I was asking all kinds of questions. Mostly about what Gybon had said.

“What haven’t you told me Robert?”

“It’s nothing, Gybon is just messing with your head!”

“Robert! I’m not stupid. I know you knew Gybon before tonight, and I want to know how! Heck, I want to know how I know him.” I was so frustrated with myself and Robert. Why couldn’t I remember Gybon. I’d never seen him with any of my relatives. Not even my Grandfather, who seemed to know every person on the planet.

“I didn’t know him.” Robert hadn’t looked at me when he said this so I assumed it was a lie.

“Fine then. All I ask is that you look me in the eye and say so.”

“You’re really listening to him over me aren’t you?”

“Don’t you dare spin this on me! Just tell me the truth. If what we have means anything to you you’ll tell me everything right now.” I could feel the lump in my throat getting bigger, the tears running down my cheeks and my hands shaking from my anger.

“I can’t Carmen. You wouldn’t believe me even if I did, and if you did I wouldn’t want to be responsible for the consequences of the truth. Your world would never be the same again!” He was obviously holding himself together, even though I could feel his hands were shaking as he held my shoulders.

“My world changed as soon as you got here. Look what’s happened in the last couple of weeks. I can handle problems and consequences, but what I can’t handle is you not being honest with me! I’m starting to feel stronger emotions when I’m around you, I’m growing closer to you every day. I just want to know if I mean the same to you. Am I just a game or something?” My voice broke as soon as I got the last part out. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and I was struggling to breathe. I had to get air.

Once I got outside and Robert had followed I couldn’t hold myself up. My legs gave way and I could feel this grass under my dress. Robert was walking over to me but I didn’t look at him, I couldn’t. Instead I looked at the pond next to me and the lights surrounding it.

“Carmen there’s things in this world you don’t know of. I know I should have never have gotten involved in your life. You’re better without me.”

“Just tell me what’s happening!” I could feel something inside of me waiting to get out.

“Okay, calm down.” He went to touch my arm but I shrugged him off.

“Do you really want to know?!” His anger made me flinch.

“Yes.”