CHAPTER FIVE

The Date

I woke up at ten in the morning the following day to reveal that my room was a mess from where I had been trying on outfits continuously. Reluctantly I got out of my heavenly quilt and started to pick up the various pieces of clothing scattered across my bedroom floor. After filling the bin that sat underneath my desk with empty water bottles and price-tags I’d left on the floor after yanking them off of my latest purchases, I went outside to put the contents of it in the bin.

I glanced up at the sky again and knew it was definitely going to snow. Christmas was coming soon and I couldn’t wait for winter break. I just hoped Mum and Martin wouldn’t come back to Beethoven until I was back at school. I didn’t really want them to come back at all and especially not for Mr and Mrs Hastings’ ball. I was looking forward to the ball so much. It was always the best event Beethoven had, everyone in their flawless ball gowns and tuxedos waltzing to classical music played by the quartet and the feeling that anything could happen on just that one magical night. The Mayor always had the ball room decorated with ice sculptures and chandeliers and waiters would serve champagne to the adults.

 I was too lost in my thoughts about the ball to notice Mrs Potter from across the street waving at me. But when I did notice her frail little body I walked over to her to apologize.

“I’m sorry Mrs Potter. I was daydreaming, how have you been?” I asked sweetly. Mrs Potter had always wanted to know everyone’s business and was actually quite the gossip but you had to like her. She was so kind to all the kids in town and really was hilarious once you got to know her. The only downfall about her was once you started to talk to her there was no escaping.

“Yes dear, I’m fine. I saw your parents leaving with suitcases last night and wondered where you were. Then I saw you coming out of that new family’s home next door to you.” She smiled sympathetically.

“Well Martin didn’t want me to attend their trip so I will be on my own for a little while.” I nodded, playing on the poor abandoned little girl act. Soon enough the whole town would know how Susan and Martin Clements had left Carmen Shaw home alone from Mrs Potter.

“Oh, I never liked that man anyway. He’s just a schmuck but anyway if you need anything you know where I am Sweetheart.” She patted my shoulder as she spoke to me kindly. See, even Mrs Potter didn’t like Martin. No-one did except Mum. Why did she have to be with him? That woman really was stupid.

I couldn’t help but notice the slight stench of cinnamon that was coming from Mrs Potter’s cooking overalls. She must’ve been cooking her cinnamon flapjacks she always brought to the summer fair. 

“He’s pretty dashing that boy isn’t he?”  Mrs Potter winked as she nodded towards the large white house beside mine. I followed her gaze and admired how close our houses where to each-other. “Heavens child! What happened to your cheek I just now saw it in the light!” Mrs Potter exclaimed as she instantly brought her hands to my face and examined the bruise. I racked my brain as I tried to come up with a believable excuse, I couldn’t really sat my mother’s husband had hit me and risk everyone finding out. I wasn’t that cruel to them.

“Oh that,” I tried to act casual as I dismissed it with a slight laugh. “I was cleaning yesterday and a box in my closet fell onto me and hit my face. I didn’t even notice it until this morning” I lied to the sweet old woman’s face. My lying mustn’t have been too convincing though as Mrs Potter’s grey eyes looked at me suspiciously.

“Right,” Her mouth made the shape of an o. “Well you better be getting inside it’s getting rather cold. Plus, I’ve got my flapjacks in the oven. I remember how you and your little friends loved them when you were children.” She giggled to herself. “If my grandchildren weren’t coming round later I’d give you the batch.”