CHAPTER ELEVEN

Gybon

It was Saturday, the day of the ball. And Erin was going to be round soon to get ready for the ball. So I laid my dress, gloves and shoes on the bed and blow dried my wet hair. I wasn’t looking forward to tonight anymore. Just knowing Gybon was going to be there. Waiting for me. I was so glad Robert was going to be my date, I felt safe with him at my side. He’d protect me.

After a while Erin showed up. I could hardly tell it was her, her arms were piled high with make-up boxes and hair curlers. I could tell she was really excited and I didn’t want to ruin it for her so I made myself smile and act like I would any other year.

“I can’t wait for tonight, my Mom and Dad were moaning about how I have to be on my best behaviour. I’m seventeen for God’s sake!”

“You are the Mayor’s daughter…”

“Irrelevant!” We ended up laughing when the doorbell rang again. When I opened it Nathan was standing at my door step in a tux with a bouquet of flowers. They were pink calla lilies which were my favourites.

“Hello Cuz’”

“Nathan?”

“What?”

“Why are you here? You’re supposed be looking after our house in England.”

“I came to escort you to the ball. I know how much you love them.” He handed me the flowers and walked into my house without an invitation.

“I loved them. And thank you for worrying but I have a date. By the way what were you doing the other morning?”

“Carmen, the kid picked I fight. I wasn’t going to walk away.”

“No, you were just going to beat him to death.”

“Nathan? Is that you?” Erin had come out of the kitchen and was hugging Nathan.

“Hey Erin, how have you been?”

“Good, I heard you were in town.”

“Yeah? Well I’m staying for awhile.”

 They carried on talking for ages until we went upstairs to get ready. I told Nathan to stay downstairs until we were done. As soon as we reached my room Erin had me sitting at my make-up table and was curling my hair. I had to admit the girl was good at it and it did look really nice. But all I could think about was Nathan, he wasn’t the same person I had seen a couple of months ago. 

“Well you’re done! Do you like it?” Erin was obviously pleased with her creation. I had two bits of my hair either side clipped up with little cream flowers. Every piece of my long brown hair was curled. To be honest I loved it.

“Erin it looks amazing! Thank you!”

For the next two hours we were putting on make-up and our dresses, I made my make-up look as natural as possible with long black eyelashes and eyeliner above my top lashes. Erin’s dress was a backless silk gown, which was a fuchsia colour. It had a few diamantes on the straps. It was beautiful dress and Erin’s blonde hair was up with two loose curls falling down. She also had a pair of white gloves on which I was relieved to see.

“Erin you look beautiful,”

“As do you.”

Happy with our appearances we went down the stairs to find Robert and Ben waiting for us. Nathan must have invited them in. I saw a smile appear on Robert’s face when he saw me, and I’m pretty sure I was smiling too. He looked amazing in a black tux, his brown eyes were glowing and he tanned skin looked amazing against the white shirt collar. As I reached the last step he took my hand and led me outside.