Chapter twenty-nine: A Proposal

Chapter twenty-nine

A Proposal

--six months later--

I heard the door open behind me, but didn’t look to see who it was from my sea of books. 

“Hey,” said Luke.

“How was lunch?”

He let out a sigh before plopping down on the couch I was leaning against. “Better than I expected.”

“Do you work things out with Corbin?”

“Yeah, we’re on good terms nows.”

I glanced back at him. “His testimony help you out a lot. He didn’t have to do that.”

Luke muttered something to himself. I could tell he was still slightly bitter at his brother after everything that had happened between the three of us. But Corbin had gave his testimony in court that got Luke out of a long legal battle about whether it was necessary to kill Adam or not. Long last family of the bastard seemed to pop out everywhere when it was made public that a multi-millionaire had pulled the trigger. Thankfully that was all taken care of now and even Michael would be spending the rest of his life in jail after being found guilty on too many charges to count. Most of which was underage prostitution and drugs. Robert was the only one that got away. He fled overseas but lost everything in the process. Luke assured me that he's on every watch list if he tries to come back. And with no money, he probably couldn't even afford the plane ride home.

“How’s he feeling?” I turned the page in my notebook.

“He’s fine,” muttered Luke, sprawling across the couch. “Back to his old self again.”

“He seemed a little more reserved since I last saw him. Melissa said something about him having a steady girlfriend.”

“Yeah, good thing too.” He grabbed my arms and prompted me to climb onto the couch. “They’re only enough room for one gay in the family.”

I gave him a smile and turned around to face him. “I never said you had to be friends with him. I just want thing to be a little less hostile between you too. It makes family stuff awkward for the rest of us.” 

“Wonder why,” grumbled Luke.

Shaking my head, I faced forward and continued to scan through my notes.

Luke cleared his throat and moved down onto the floor beside me. “How’s things coming?”

“Fine,” I breathed. “I think I’ll pass at least.”

“Good.” He pulled me to him and kissed the side of my head. 

We sat in silence for a moment. It was nice to just relax and not do anything. The last couple months had kept us busier than either of us wanted. 

Luke shifted. “Jim and Aaron got back from their honeymoon yesterday.”

“They must be celebrating a post-honeymoon because I haven’t heard from them yet.”

“They probably still unpacking after the move to their new apartment.” He moved his knee and bumped my book. 

I moved it out of the way. “Did they say anything to you?”

“No,” he breathed. “Just want to say they got home safe.”

“That’s good.” 

He didn’t say anything as I studied the next couple pages of my notes. “Their wedding was pretty nice.”