Chapter twenty A Fresh Start

Chapter twenty 

A Fresh Start

This was it. I was seconds away was actually doing it, and I was terrified.

“Gavin,” said Luke. “Are you going to get out?”

“Maybe,” I muttered as I stared out the window of where I was going to spend the next four years of my life.

“Gavin,” sang Luke. “You’re first class starts in fifteen minutes.” He reached over and opened the door for me. “And I have to get to work.”

I quickly closed the door and turned in my seat to face him. “Maybe this was a bad idea. I don’t really need college, right?”

Luke eyed me. “You work your ass off for GED, and I worked mine off to get you accepted. Get out of the car.”

“What wrong with just a GED. That should be enough to get me some kind of job. It won’t be as high end as yours, but it’s something right?”

He reached over and re-opened the door. “I’m not letting you prostitute anymore, so get your ass out of this car and go to class.” He put on his sunglasses and shifted the car into drive.

“Can’t I just take some like cleaning classes online?” I whined. “I’ll stay home like you want and be the ‘house husband.’ That what you want, isn’t it?”

“Get out before I drag you out.” He looked over at me. “That wouldn’t make that great of an impression on your first day. People might think you’re a lunatic.”

Glaring at him, I reached into the back seat and grabbed my book bag. “Your a sick bastard and when I fail out of college I’m blaming you.”

“How would it be my fault?”

“It just is,” I snapped as I undid up seat belt and got out. I slammed the door before he could reply. 

Yeah, I was being ridiculous. I should be grateful that I got my GED and met the requirement to go to college. And I should have probably thanked Luke for making a generous donation to Callahan University, not to mention it was the same one he graduated from with his bachelor. But the last thing I wanted to do was be trapped in a classroom with people that actually knew what they were doing. Getting a GED didn’t mean I was smart or anywhere near the level of everyone else, and I was positive that college was going to kick my ass. Hard. 

I trudged across the green courtyard with my class inform print-out in hand. I didn’t really know where I was going. Luke had tried to take me to freshman orientation, but I flat out refused. So I guess I deserved to be wandering around looking like a complete idiot. Even the dumb little map I had printed out wasn’t helping much. 

Spinning in a circle, I ran my hand through my hair as I tried to find anything that could help me. Luke had gotten out the scissor the day before and cut off the black ends. So I was back to the normal brown hair color I had been born with, so I didn’t look like a idiot on my first day of school. Too bad I was doing a great job of look like a loser without any added touches. 

Somehow I managed to find it and entered the auditorium with the teacher right behind him. I took the first empty seat he spotted and got out my laptop Luke had bought me for school. With a deep breath, I prepared myself for my first college class. 

***

“How was it?” asked Luke as I slumped into the passenger seat.