For A Price (manxman)

Read 700 first (on my profile) this is the seqel.

*********************

Chapter one

Back at It

I stared at the ceiling watching the fan with a broken panel circulated slowly. My hand stretched to the empty side of the bed. Rolling over, I stared at the large space in the closet, and the open drawers I had been too lazy to close.

“Shit,” I cursed, sitting up and rubbing my face. I had really messed up this time.

Throwing off the covers, I stumbled into the bathroom, feeling a headache coming on. I knew the solution for this. Flipping the nozzle on cold, I stripped and stepped into the shower. I just wanted to feel numb: make my outside match the inside. 

Hearing my phone alarm, I turned off the water and trudged back into the bedroom. I flung myself on the bedspread before deactivating it. If I didn’t have work I probably just go back to bed. 

Wondering back to the bathroom, I stepped onto the tile floor and would have been thrown on my ass if I hadn’t grabbed the door when my foot was flung out from under me. I guess that what I get for walking around all wet. Grabbing a towel, I dried off my body and hair. I glanced in the mirror and decided the circle under my eyes looked better than usual so maybe today won’t be as horrible as the rest of the week. Opening the mirror, I grabbed a bottle of pain pills and popped two of them. I needed something more to go with this. 

Stumbling into the bedroom, I pulled on some random clothes and shoved my feet into my shoes. Pulling on my jacket, I walked through the kitchen/living room of my one room apartment.  Grabbing someone else half drank beer from the fridge, I downed the rest and tossed the can at the trash but missed. To lazy to pick it up, I opened the door and flipped up the hood before stepping into the hall and locking the door behind me. 

The neighbors were fighting again when I walked by. That bitch just need to leave him already. I knew they were both cheating, so they might as well just end it. Another reason why I refuse to ever get married. Who would want to be stuck with the same asshole for the rest of their life?

I hurried down the three flights of stair and when out the emergency exit into the back alley. Emerging out into the main street, I walked the three blocks to the bus stop. The regular group was there. A couple men in suits and a old woman the work in the grocery store near the cafe. I sat down on the end of the bench.

The bus pulled up, and we filed on. I sat toward the middle just staring out the window. I want to make it clear that I didn’t want to start a casual conversation with anyone. They must of gotten the hint because no one tried today. 

Twenty minute later, we reached my stop, and I wasted no time getting off. I trudged to the cafe on the corner and entered.

“Hey Bret,” said Sherry from the register. She looked nice today with her blond hair flow over her shoulder in loss curls. She must have a date with her new boyfriend after work. They had only gone out for a week, and I already new too much about the guy.

“Hey,” I muttered as I slipped into the back.

“On time for once,” said the owner, Greg, looking over some paperwork when I slipped passed him.

“Hmmm…” I pulled off my jacket and hung it up and washed my hand. Taking a tray of muffins and beagles already package for sell to the front, I set the tray on the counter. 

“Do you need help with that?” asked Sherry.

“Nope.”  I set them up in the display window.