I'm Just Your...Ghost

Marshall Lee's POV

The stagnant blood in my veins is cold at the sight of Bonnibello, my love, standing with someone else. I may not see them clearly, but I see them enough to know they are not standing as friends. The Fire Elemental has an arm around my prince who is leaning into him. I know I left him, I know I broke it off. My fault in this does nothing to heal the crack appearing in my undead heart.

 I can't do this. I don't want to go there right now. Tears leak from the corners of my eyes and I swipe a hand across them. Crying isn't going to help, but I know something that might: Simone. The infamous Ice Queen. It's a long shot. She doesn't really remember me because of the crown. I know she realizes our connection, though, which is why I think we still hang around each other. Regardless of why, I need her help.

I push myself off the mountain and begin the flight to Simone's place.

***

Sitting on Simone's ice couch, I watch as she tends to her penguins. She loves those things so much. It reminds me of our days together when she would act like that to me. That was when she was still Simone, more of a mother to me than my own. Before the crown took her away from me. But that's beside the point.

Once all the penguins have been seen to, Simone sits next to me. "So you left Prince Gumball? Does that mean he's available?" she asks with a hunger in her tone. I roll my eyes. "I'm having a crisis here, Ice Queen, you think you could be a little more sensitive?" It's her turn to roll her eyes and scoff.

"Hush, boy. Your problems are not that bad. From everything you said, all of this is your fault. You left. You broke it off. And now that Gummy has a new beau, you're going to act like the victim? The real victim here is the prince. Think about it: the boy he loved more than anything left when his best friend died, but he was hurting too. He'd lost a best friend too, and then he lost a boyfriend. So, no, sweetie. I can't be more sensitive."

I groaned and dropped my head. I'd been thinking all of this, but having it said to me was rough. I hadn't even thought of what Bonibello was going through. What was I doing, thinking I was the only one devastated? Of course he was hurting. Fifi was his best friend. We were all best friends, a trio and Cake. Fionna left a hole when she died.

"Ice Queen, you gotta help me. What do I do? I miss him so much," I begged from my saddened position. I'm so confused and lost. I have no idea what I should do, I've never been in this position. The last person I really thought I loved was Ashley, who was a complete sociopath that sold Hambo. I was never this unsure about anything with her and it was never that hard being without her. This is all new territory for me.

I turn my head, leaning sort of against the couch to look at Simone. She looks...sympathetic? I guess that must be it because her eyes are soft as they look at me. "Marshall, you know what you need to do? You need to get off your buns, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and go get your man back! That's the only way to stop missing him. You're sad because he found someone new? Fight for him! Win! And of course, send the other boy back to me if he's good looking." By now she's standing in front of me with a determined (and slightly psychotic) grin on her face, and I can't help but feel motivated by it.

Without a second to think about what I'm going to do, I stand too. I practically run to the window and step on the ledge, calling back, "I will! Thanks so much, Simone!" As I start flying, I hear a faint, "Good luck, Marshie."

Aaa rushes under me in a blur and wind whips around me. Flying is an amazing feeling, especially on this much adrenaline. I feel like I can take on the world and definitely get Bonnibello back. I love him and I'll always love him. I know he will die one day. That fact has never eluded me. But somehow, I don't care right now.

It's a matter of minutes before I get to Gumball's castle. As it grows closer, though, apprehension settles like a stone in my gut. Why did I think this was a good idea? This is terrible. He's going to reject me, laugh in my face, tell me to leave him alone so he can be with the sunspot. Or even worse, he'll ignore me. Say I don't matter. I don't think I could take that.

I land on the balcony beneath Gumball's bedroom. His voice and an unfamiliar one float down to my ears, yet I can't make out any words. The only things I can make out are the happiness in the stranger's voice and the hesitance in Gumball's. I float up until the sill brushes my hair. Their voices are much clearer now.

"I miss him, Iggy. It feels like this gaping hole inside me and it hurts. The same questions keep popping up. Was it my fault? Where is he? Is he coming back?." Oh Grod. That's definitely Bonnibello. He sounds tired. He sounds like he's been crying. I did this to him, didn't I? I've made him cry. That's the one thing I promised myself I'd never do.

"It's okay, Bonnie. None of this was your fault. From what you've told me, he probably got scared. You said he's afraid of people dying on him? Fionna's death probably brought that back. It's not your fault. He'll come back on his own time, and if he doesn't then he doesn't deserve you. You're amazing, Bonnie." Uh, what? Who is this Iggy person? I don't know anyone named Iggy. I know an Ignitus- oh my Glob. 

Flame Prince?

Gumball's POV

Flame Prince.

Or Iggy, as I've come to call him. He's become my best friend in this last month that Marshall's been gone. He's listened to me cry over him, helped me cheer up, kept me from losing my mind. It was a chance encounter, really. He came for some politic meeting and upon seeing me, asked what was wrong. It all went from there and now here we are. I'm crying again over Marshall.

At the moment I'm sitting on my bed with my head in my hands and Iggy's next to me on the window side. I pick my head up to look at him, open my mouth to respond, and suddenly I scream. My mind goes blank and I'm frozen. Petrified. Why?

Because standing before me is someone I worried I'd never see again. If you guessed Marshall Lee the Vampire King, you'd be right.

He's like a ghost floating outside the window with a scared expression. Grod, he looks terrible. His clothes are torn and wrinkled, his bass worn from his travels. That unruly midnight hair I love running my fingers through is a bit longer than when I last saw him. Deep bags are set under his crimson eyes. He looks as tired as I feel.

"Gumball," he breathes.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Author's Note:

Hey fireballs! Lookit! I finally uploaded! And I gave you a cliffhanger >:) I'm so sorry for not uploading sooner, but I've been busy and I've had block and it's just been a mess. I do like how this came out and I hope you do too. You've certainly waited long enough for it. I promise I'll try to upload quicker from now on. I felt so terrible that you guys had to wait.

Anyways, OH MY LANTA MARSHIE'S BACK. What do you think's gonna happen?

Remember to comment, like, and fan, darlings <3 

With love to my fireballs,

Sunny