I'm Just Your...Runaway

*Gumball's POV*

I wake up the next morning to pale gray light streaming out of my window. The first thing I notice is the lack of warmth next to me where Marshall should be. My eyes flit to his side of the bed- empty. Where's he gone? He was here last night when I went to sleep. I remember him saying it was all his fault that Fionna died (don't think about her, Bonnibello). That was late last night, and now it's early morning. I think.

Sitting up, I survey the room. Everything looks the same, save for the empty corner where Marshall's bass had been last night. So he wasn't kidnapped. No kidnapper would've let him take his bass. I mean, come on. It's an axe. You'd have to be an idiot to let him take it. Therefore, he must've left. But where is he? I never heard him leave.

Ever so quietly I throw the blankets off my bare legs and swing them around to plant my feet on the floor. I'm only wearing boxers, which explains how I knew Marshall wasn't here. I would've felt his skin on mine. I pad over to the open window, a picture of the candy forest and an overcast sky. The sun is nowhere in sight. Just like my Marshall Lee.

All at once, I realize what he's done and it makes me want to hurl. We've talked about this before, about how all us mortals die on Marshall. We leave him behind. Shatter him completely even after he's already put himself back together. I stumble back and I know. I know he's left so he doesn't have to be here for me to die. He's left me. And I don't think he'll come back.

I knock against the bed and drop to my knees. My arms are wrapped around my midsection tightly. Oh Glob, I can't take this now. First Fionna and now Marshall. Why is everyone leaving me? No one's here. I've lost my best friend and lover and I have no idea what to do. I'm scared. Being alone scares me so much. I hate this crushing silence. Even someone else breathing would make me feel better.

This hurts. Grod, this hurts so bad. Why couldn't he have just stayed? Why did he have to leave? Why did he have to go right when I needed him to stay? 

*Marshall Lee's POV*

It's been a month since I left Gumball, and that hole inside me? It's gotten bigger. It's eating away at my insides. I thought I'd feel better now that I've gone. I'm safe from people leaving now, right? It should feel better. But it doesn't. I feel empty and hollow and sad. The world looks as gray as the morning I flew from my old life. Everything is gray.

This morning I wake up in a mountain crevice. It's barely bigger than me, but it's deep. The floor is cold and hard as concrete. I seem to be up pretty high, because I can see Aaa spread out beneath me like a blanket. The kingdoms are scattered over the thick green grass, each their own individual secter. It looks clean-cut and precise from my lofty position.

I quietly crawl out of the little nook my bass strapped in place on my back. My eyes fix on the summit as I make my way steadily over the mountain surface. In all honesty, I could just fly up and be there in a minute. But I like the feeling of rock beneath my skin and the rush of knowing that I could fall and be hurt. No, I've not become a masochist since I left Gumball. I've just found that I love the thrill of cheating death, even if I could easily save myself. It's just nice to feel like I'm doing something, if that makes sense.

The rhythm of reach up, pull up, reach up, pull up soothes my loud mind. My head has become a terrible place to be as of late. It's hugely loud, and different voices seem to be pulling me to do all sorts of things. It's cacophonic with the screams of a hundred beings up there. The only thing that quiets the voices is a repetetive motion, one that keeps my brain on task. That's the only thing that will muffle the words.

Soon enough, though, the motion is not enough to silence my head. The voices start up again, but this time they almost sound like music. I think they're singing, or maybe screaming. I've never heard these lyrics that spiral in my brain. Don't say I'm better off dead, 'cause Heaven's full and Hell won't have me. My skin's smothering me; help me find a way to breathe. I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim.

I grit my teeth to keep from shrieking along with the voices. No matter what I may say, the words are maddeningly similar to my own true thoughts. The exact thoughts I'm trying to run from. But all this running, it just makes me want to run back to where I really want to be: with Gumball. I'm just trying to distract myself from the fact that I've thrown away one of the only people I care about.

I've got to go back, don't I? I have to go home to Gumball and apologize over and over and tell him I love him. This decision reaches me just as I pull myself up to sit on a ledge. I resolve to leave as soon as possible, but I want to just take a break first. Recollect myself and resume my long journey home. 

Sighing quietly, I lean against the mountainside and look at the Candy Kingdom, relatively close to my hideout. I can see the Candy people from here. My eyes narrow and I see Gumball on one of the Candy Castle's balconies. He's with someone, a bright orange spot against the cream-colored castle walls. Who is that? I can't make out any facial features from here, though I can tell it's a Fire Elemental. It's like a sunspot. A male-looking sunspot.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Author's Note:

I'm sorry these chapters are short. I'm just not very good at writing long chapters- apologies. And in case you haven't been keeping up with my messages, I've got some news: sometime within the next 1-3 weeks, I will be making the R chapters for this story and my other AT story. By R, I mean sexytimes. So be prepared for that ;)

The lyrics that Marshall's voices think up are from Can You Feel My Heart, And The Snakes Start To Sing, and Sleepwalking all by Bring Me The Horizon. Can You Feel My Heart is over there

---->

So what do you think of everything in the chapter? Also, who do you think the Fire Elemental is? (It's not really a mystery, but I think it'd be cool to see what you guys come up with) Please answer in the comments, and remember to vote and fan if you liked it ^^

Love to the fireballs, Sunny