1.4.1. Fiery Wings (Keaira)

• Dedicated to All My Awesome Fans

Author's Note: Thank you fans! Everyone hates cliffhangers, right? So do I, but to make more suspense, I've decided to introduce the other characters of the rainbow that I haven't wrote about yet! :) I'll have a short chapter for each of their perspectives, so that means five short chapters and I'll resume with where I left off with Ezio. Reminder: Red-Keauna, Orange-Keaira, Yellow-Chase, Green-Alexx, Indigo-Izzie. 

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Chapter 1

§ Fiєяy Wiηgs §

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Keaira lay on the striped beach blanket, basking in the sun, reveling in the sweltering heat. Heat. Hot. Flame. Fire. She rolled over to her stomach and propped herself onto her elbows. Staring at the languid water lapping against the shore, she reminisced about the day that brought her here today.

Keaira was about eight at the time. Before the incident, everything was calm and as silent as it could be. The entire family was sitting at the round kitchen table, chatting about their day at work or school. Day-to-day conversations. Suddenly, Mom’s cup of Early Grey tea began rattling, making a clinking noise against the saucer. Immediately after, all the lights went out. Her parents ordered Keaira and her fraternal twin, Keauna to duck and find cover. The entire building shook while the earth trembled underneath them. Keaira cried out in alarm when part of the roof collapsed, various debris and rubble raining down. 

There were some aftershocks, but eventually, the earthquake stopped. Kearia and the rest of her family crawled out, mostly unharmed. Just a few scrapes and bruises. They huddled together in the dining room because the storm was still raging on outside. Mom pressed a battery radio near her ear, awaiting the voice that would reassure everyone and say that the coast was clear. Later that night, it grew dark. They had a candlelight dinner. Not for romantic purposes, though. Mom and Dad went into the kitchen to clean up and discuss adult matters, so Keaira and Keauna were left alone. They sat together in the dining room, leaning in close together; it was getting colder by the second. Keaira stared at the flame on the candle; something changed inside of her. She was drawn to it, like a moth to a flame.

Her hand rose and hovered for a few seconds over the flame. Then, hesitantly, she touched the fire. Blinking rapidly, she looked at her hand that was still surrounded by fire. Amazingly, it didn’t hurt one bit. Keaira watched, breathless, as the flames literally leaped onto her and danced on her skin, until it engulfed her. Her eyes, illuminated by the fire, seemed crimson red. She pleaded with Keauna to not tell, but it turned out that she didn’t need to. Keauna had the same powers she did. Controlling fire. Keauna was better at summoning fire, but Keaira was the master of taming the fire.

One time, a kid, had angered Keauna by calling her names. Keauna and Keaira had always been teased about their eyes. Their crimson red eyes. Keauna’s temper had flared and out of nowhere, a fire had started and spread exactly like wildfire. The kid, a boy whose bark was worse than his bite, had screamed and backed away, terrified. Because Keauna was furious, the fire only spread more. Keaira had focused on the flames, which eventually died down. News had traveled fast and before the two sisters knew it, practically everyone started calling them witches. Talking behind their backs, but nobody messed with them anymore. Over time, Keaira and Keauna had learned to keep their heads down and have a low profile. In addition, they discovered that strong emotions caused the fires to get out of control, so they always took three deep breaths and waited for ten seconds before acting out on someone. It might sound silly, but it worked.

Keaira heaved a sigh as she was brought back to the present. She was now a spectator as she spotted her sister playing volleyball. On the winning team, of course. Although they were the same age, Keauna had always been the stronger one. She was more decisive, had guts, and was a bit brash. Keaira cheered when Keauna hit the ball over the net, sailing over the opponents’ heads, out of their reach. Keauna smirked and winked at Keaira, who ran to meet her sister.

Abruptly, there were shouts of panic. The milling crowds ran around in frenzy, heading for higher ground. Keaira’s eyes widened when she saw the enormous wave coming towards them. Why hadn’t there been some sort of warning? She tried to move, but believe it or not, she was frozen like an ice cube. Keaira looked over to see that her sister faced the same outcome. What was going on? Meanwhile, the insidious water crept closer and closer.