1.6.2. Say "Cheese"

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Chapter 2

§ Say “Chєєsє” §

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Ezio’s face, along with Hayden’s, was plastered on one of those huge “Wanted” posters. At the bottom, in big bold numbers, was the hotline to call if anyone had information pertaining to the “criminals”. In addition, the reward for catching them was a hundred grand. Money definitely motivated people to keep their eyes peeled and to be on the lookout for two teens.

As they walked further along, they noticed that every inch of space of the walls was covered with the same poster. Clearly someone wanted the shoppers to read that particular sheet of paper.

“I, uh, think we should leave. Now.” Alexx suggested.

“Sounds good,” Ezio agreed. “However, this market is surrounded by video cameras one of them is bound to see us,” he added.

“No problem. We’ll just have to keep our heads down; there’s a certain technique I use all the time. Too bad I don’t have a hat with me at the moment…Let’s go.”

The twosome edged towards the doorway and almost stepped outside when an accusing voice startled them.

“You guys again? Did you actually follow me here?”

Ezio whirled around and his eyebrows shot up when he saw the same girl from the shop.

Alexx shook his head and said, “We could ask you the same question. What are you doing here?”

“My shift is over and I thought I would get some ingredients for dinner,” she replied innocently. Then, she reached into her purse and kept her hand there as if she was ready to draw something out.

Ezio said, “Look, ah—I don’t know your name…anyway—"

“Camille, but I prefer to be called Cammi.”

“We’re in a bit of a rush and need to get going, so if you don’t mind, we’ll be on our way.”  Ezio and Alexx started to head outside.

Camille pursed her lips and wagged her index finger. “No, no. I do mind. Take one more step and I’ll scream. Oh, why don’t you stay a bit longer? Come back in,” she commanded.

They stopped in their tracks and had no choice but to reenter the market. Ezio was glad, only for the fact that he hadn’t believed her story at all. Without warning, Camille hollered, “Help me! It’s him. The murderer on the poster. Call 911!”

At that exact moment, pandemonium broke out. There were many shopping cart collisions, followed by people being trampled like animals during a stampede. Cashiers and civilians alike hurried and blocked the exits, while others hid or whipped out their cell phones to snap photos or to get some video footage. Ezio and Alexx leaped over a few stray baskets and tore down the frozen food aisle.

“This is not looking good,” muttered Alexx.

“On the plus side, it can’t get any worse,” Ezio said, trying to lift Alexx’s mood.

He spoke too soon because the intercom came on and a female voice, sounding just like Camille’s, announced, “They are within our grasp. We’re so close, I can almost taste victory! Initiate lockdown.”