1.3.6. Sweet Saviors?

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Chapter 6

§ Swєєt Saviσяs? §

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Hayden skidded to a stop, crumpling to the floor. He put out his hands to break his fall, but the impact still caused him to groan in agony. He curled up into a fetus position and lay there for what seemed to be an eternity. Ezio noted that Hayden’s physical condition had become worse; this was not looking good for them. There was a slim chance, if any, that they would make it out of the jail unscathed. Ezio offered his hand to help Hayden back up, but he just pushed it away.

“Sorry. I-I can’t go any longer. Lea-leave me. I’m dead weight, anyway,” Hayden panted.

Ezio almost listened to Hayden and took off, but he pushed that thought out of his head. Even though Ezio had just met Hayden, it would be selfish of him to desert Hayden in a time of need. They were meant to stick together and watch each other’s backs. That much was crucial.

“You’re not getting rid of me that easy,” Ezio said, grinning.

He helped Hayden up and they continued on walking down the hallways. They found a secluded area and thought of it as a perfect place to take a quick break. Hayden laid his head against the wall and closed his eyes, perhaps to indulge in a cat nap. Ezio kept silent to give Hayden a chance to rest. He pressed his fingers against his temples, trying to formulate a plan. No light bulbs above his head. Zip. Zero. Nothing.

Ezio focused on Hayden’s shallow breathing, which was steady. However, that did not calm Ezio’s nerves at all. He had been on edge ever since the police had accused him of committing crimes. His world had been turned upside down just a few days ago. Just a few days ago! If someone had told him that he was going to run away from home, be chased by the police, and find the love of his life, he would’ve said that they were crazy. Well, look where he was now…hiding in a jail.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ezio thought that he saw something blinking. His eyes wandered around, unsure of why his mind was playing tricks on him. Ezio froze when he saw the CCTV camera. It swept back and forth, the red light indicating that it was on the prowl. And Ezio and Hayden were its prey. Ezio was in a full panic mood now. Yet, he paused to think why he hadn’t been caught earlier. Surely they had passed by a couple of cameras already. Ezio shook his head; now wasn’t the time to contemplate. He nudged Hayden, who stretched his arms and yawned, looking groggy.

“Hayden, what can you do? Got any abilities I should know about?” Ezio said, his tone urgent.

“Something wrong?” Hayden jumped up, looking more alert.

In response, Ezio pointed to the camera. He hoped that Hayden had something useful. Hayden represented the color black, so maybe he was the most powerful. After all, black was the combination of all colors.

“I can create images using my imagination and project them into the real world. Kind of like a mirage. If I try hard, I can make ‘em real and even control them.”

“That’ll definitely come in handy.” Ezio said.

“I guess, but the downside is that it drains my energy and I need to rest more often.”

As soon as the words left Hayden’s mouth, sirens went off. The two immediately took action and ran down the hallways, inmates shouting at them.

“Hey kids! Let us go and we’ll help ya get out of here.”

Without stopping, Ezio said, “I’m sorry. We’re in a bit of a rush.”

Hayden tugged on Ezio’s arm. “Ezio, they might be able to help. Let’s give ‘em a chance.”