1.1.5. True Colors

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Chapter 5

§ Tяυє Cσlσяs §

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

2 Months Later…

                Ezio was just like a zombie. Day by day, he followed his daily routine. Ezio now only spoke when someone asked him a question and forced him to answer. At home, he would mope and spend most of his time in his room. He became even more secluded and isolated from everyone else. Ezio found that he lost all interest in everything. Everything. His family and all the staff and students at school had noticed the dramatic change in his mood and personality. Everyone asked what was wrong, but that only made everything worse.

                Ezio hated to admit it, but everything was going downhill. He had yet solved the jigsaw puzzle. Yes, the puzzle was that difficult; it seemed impossible. It gave him a major headache and he had pretty much given up. What was the point of solving it? Another factor that contributed to his bad mood was that Violet avoided him. He would try to go up to her and try to talk, but then, she would shake her head and walk away.

                It was Valentine’s Day. Ezio dropped off Elaine at school and jogged to the nearest flower shop. Girls liked flowers, didn’t they? What girls liked was still a huge mystery to him. When he opened the door, a bell jangled, letting the shop workers know that they had a customer. Ezio had never been in this shop before; there had been no reason to. He looked all over the store before picking a beautiful bouquet of violets and various flowers. He smirked as he thought of violets. Violets. Violet. Why was he buying flowers for a girl he barely met? Ezio had no idea why, but he had. He went to the front counter and paid twenty dollars, saying goodbye to one of his Andrew Jackson’s. Ezio arrived at school eight minutes later.

                He held the bouquet in one hand and hid it behind his back, but of course, people still notice. They teased him about it, but Ezio simpered and laughed along with them. He spotted Violet and ran up to her. She started walking away, but he called, “Wait!”

                She stopped and Ezio’s face flushed, turning a beet red color. He held out the flowers and said weakly, “Happy Valentine’s Day. I didn’t know what kind of flowers were your favorite, but I just got some violets, because you know…it’s your name.”

                The very least he was expecting was her accepting the bouquet. Violet took the flowers and brought them closer to her nose. She took a whiff of the flowers, then inhaling deeply. Right after that, she unexpectedly hugged Ezio.

                Violet’s face color matched Ezio’s and she said, “Thanks. I really appreciate it. It was…very thoughtful of you. By the way, my favorite kinds of flowers are lilacs, rhododendrons, and Birds of Paradise.”

                Ezio was surprised, yet happy at the same time. All of a sudden, he thought about the jigsaw puzzle. He inquired, “Hey, Violet. You like puzzles?”

                “Yes. Solving puzzles are a piece of cake. Why?”

                “Well, I was wondering if you would help me solve one.”

                “Uh…okay.”

                There was an awkward silence and then, the two exchanged their addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, and whatnot. Violet said that she would ask her parents. They agreed to meet a five p.m. at Ezio’s house.