Nightmare 25: Rectify

Recap:

Your side started to hurt again.

Jeff swooped you off your feet in slow motion and began to run towards the light that was slowly fading away in the distance. It just kept getting further and further away as it teased his grasp.

You were sure that he was trying to tell you to hang in there or stay with him. However, you just couldn't help but let your mind wander in this paradox of a repose.

Your demons finally fancied your vision and swarmed your mind with unconsciousness.

-+-

The campfire roared like a thousand bees trying to escape their nest.

The wisps of the flames lit up with a dullness in your eyes as you played with the string on your shorts. Your shivering legs stayed as still as they could, but the wind was too mutilating.

Jeff threw another block of wood into the fire, allowing it to yell like the souls waiting for peace. He then dusted off his hands and sat down next to you. The dirt underneath your skin shifted with the colorless clouds that shuffled across the night sky.

"It's freezing," Jeff said as he pulled you towards him.

You nodded as you nuzzled your head into his chest. His heat immediately struck you with intensity.

"Are we going to make it through the night?" you asked.

His eyes looked in the distance at the trees that silently screamed on your behalf.

"Mhm," he mumbled. "I won't let anything happen to us."

A small breeze caught the end of your hair and brushed it around your face.

"Aren't you confused?" you asked. "Aren't you scared at all?"

Jeff glanced down at you and shook his head.

"No," he said.

"But you don't know anything," you replied. "You don't even know who I am or what happened in the past."

He went to speak, but you didn't let him.

"You don't even know why they're chasing us," you finished.

He sighed as the wind picked up a sheet of his sleeve. You heard the leaves on the trees rustle and shake as the roots in the ground rose like the undead.

"Close your eyes," Jeff muttered.

"What?" you questioned.

"Trust me," he sighed.

After a moment of reading his dim, blue pupils, you shut your eyes.

"Imagine a tree," he said. "A tree with a million branches and red leaves that cascade into the night."

You pictured pale bark on the trunk of a tree that held a million sins in every single one of its roots.

"Now picture the stars in the sky getting covered up by the clouds," Jeff said. "Imagine them ripping off all the leaves from the branches, tearing them apart by the seams."