Nightmare 4: Red

Recap:

He took a deep breath and whispered, "He's coming." He looked into your eyes and mouthed, 'I'm sorry.'

Right before your eyes stood the one person you thought was fearless. A killer was telling you that he was scared. What did that mean for you? You were practically dead.

Jeff gave you a crooked smile.

-+-

Who was he talking about? Himself?

Jeff then turned into a monster. His glowing eyes were popping out of his skull and his cut smile was dripping with blood as he started to chase you back to your house. All you could see was red, red, and more red. You were almost swimming in it. The moon was covered in it and the grass acted as seaweed in it.

You didn't know why your hallucinations and such were so vivid, but they scared the free-will out of you.

You ran through your back door and tried to lock it behind you. When you turned around, Jeff was standing there. It was exactly like the last night.

"I can't wait to start cutting into that cheek," he said, smile wider than ever.

You screamed and tried to go back out the door, but you were forced to the ground. You did the same things you did before, and you got him to lose his grip.

Before you started to stand up, you noticed that the scene had changed.

You were at the edge of a cliff, and Jeff was lying on top of you, supporting himself by his hands.

He was looking down into your eyes as he asked, "Are you okay?"

You tried to reply, but you couldn't speak. Your mouth felt sewn shut. You tried to scream and shout, but nothing was working. You didn't even make any facial expressions. Were you possessed? It was like you were slipping away from your own body.

You then woke up. You actually woke up.

You felt awake that time. It was different then all the other times you had "woke up." You felt like the air was actually thick and easy to breathe. The small lights weren't abstract and you could make out words and other things easily. You felt satisfied.

You were lying down in the back seat of a real car and the real Jeff was driving it. The clock read 2:07 and the real sky outside was darker than a void. The real trees passing by the windows covered the real, white moon.

You were really awake.

You sat up and took a deep breath, startling the driver.

"(y/n)...?"

Jeff turned his head around slightly, widened his eyes, and slammed on the brakes. He pulled over to the side of the road and looked back at you.

"You're actually awake," he said, "I didn't expect you to sleep that long." He sounded worried.

"Was I in a coma or something?" you asked him drowsily.

"No," he said, "you were asleep."

Asleep? It felt like forever. You couldn't have just been asleep. Even if you have, you must have slept for days. That dream was too real and filled with too many tiny details to have lasted only a couple hours.

"But... It was so real," you muttered.

Your dream took place over the course of two months, and it started when Jeff tried to kill you on the tenth night. The last thing you remembered from it was being near the cliff with him, but even those memories of it were starting to fade, along with all the other events that took place.

"When did I fall asleep?" you asked.

"It was around midnight," Jeff said. "Why?"

"I'm... happy then," you said.

"R-Really?" Jeff sounded surprised.

"I'm so glad that you didn't actually try to kill me."

"I've never tried to do anything like that, (y/n). Did that happen in your dream?" Jeff leaned over and moved hair away from your eyes.

"Yeah," you sighed. You rubbed at your face. "There was this really mean police man, Officer Joe," you explained, "and this lady from a homeless shelter that was really exuberant and pretentious... She had blonde hair."

You adjusted yourself in the seat. "I was having layered dreams and nightmares about you and weird creatures killing me. That's all I can remember, though."

"(y/n), Officer Joe is real, and so is that lady," Jeff said, disregarding the nightmares.

"What?" you asked.

"Oh, no," he muttered under his breath, "I can't tell you that..." His voice went to a whisper and trailed off. He looked around and shook his head a lot.

"But, how could I dream of real people if I've never seen them before?" you asked.

He looked like he was contemplating something. Was he confused? It seemed like he was battling something in his mind. He kept looking at you every couple seconds, too.

Then, a weak and worn out expression took over his face.

"It's because you have seen them before," he said, gazing into your eyes. "You just don't remember them."

"But, I got back the memories you took away," you said.

"No," Jeff muttered. "See, that wasn't the first time you've lost memories."