Chapter Fourteen

Swallowing down the last of the whiskey, I slammed the empty glass down on my coffee table and buried my hands into my hair. I couldn't believe what had occurred only a couple of hours ago at Ava's.

This whole thing with Damian wasn't planned but no matter how hard I tried, he was in the back of my mind. It pissed me off that he had inflicted so much pain on my girl and she just let it slide without trying to even act on the abuse she received. Damian Blackwell was living his fancy fucking life without a care in the world whilst Ava was suffering from nightmares and heartbreak. It didn't seem fair.

So I made the decision to take matters into my own hands. It might not have been the right decision but I didn't regret one fucking second of it.

After I had got rid of Brian and avenged my niece's death, the adrenaline rush that filled my body was still on a high when I decided to go to Manhattan and pay Damian a visit. It wasn't hard to get close to the motherfucker. All I did was wait it out until it was no longer daylight. His guard at the gates of his house left at exactly midnight. Ten minutes later, I saw the porch lights go out and then I made my move.

Climbing over the wall that surrounded the building wasn't too difficult either and I managed to get to his door without any further problems. I knew the bastard would have an alarm system in place so I didn't bother picking the lock and just banged on the door instead. His neighbours wouldn't hear it because the houses in the area where at least twenty feet apart.

As soon as Damian opened the door, I landed a solid punch to his face which had him roar in pain as he reared back and fell on his ass. He held his bloody nose and glared up at me as I invited myself in and crashed the front door shut.

"Who the fuck are you?" He asked me and I chuckled in response before I pummelled him with more blows from my fists. Somewhere in between the beatings, I told him exactly what Ava should have a long time ago—that he was a disgusting excuse of a male and a coward for hitting someone that couldn't even fight back.

He clicked on that I was talking about Ava even though I didn't mention her name. The motherfucker had the nerve to ask me if she was okay. I laughed bitterly at how genuinely concerned he seemed. Too bad the prick hadn't shown any of that concern when they were together. What pissed me off further was that Damian took my beatings without so much of lifting a finger to try and defend himself when he found out why I was doing it. He just accepted it—lying there, his arms raised to protect his face.

All I wanted to do was to scruff him up a little bit and scare him but then Damian uttered the words that made me take it too far. "I loved her. Let her know I'm sorry." He croaked it whilst spitting out blood in between sentences. I saw red. Anger consumed me and I let my fists do the speaking.

He loved her? It made no fucking sense. What sane person physically beats and hurts the person they love?

I loved Ava. Damian didn't love Ava. If he did then the idea of marking her without her permission would disgust him. It wouldn't even be an afterthought no matter how angry she made him.

Ava's angered me numerous times but never have I ever wanted to inflict any physical pain upon her. I may say a few words out of antagonism but I would never use my fists to get my point across. In my world, a man that puts his hands on a woman that way is a weakling—a fucking coward that feels some sort of sordid power from making a woman cry in pain.

The shrill ring of my phone interrupted my irate thoughts. The caller ID told me it was Kade and I knew instantly that it was to do with Ava. Reluctantly, I answered the call.