Chapter One

I was miserable. Three days without her and I was going out of my mind. The need to have her consumed me. Pushing the speed button on the treadmill, I ran fast-sweat dripping into my eyes-and welcomed the burn in the back of my thighs. After fifteen minutes, I couldn't feel my legs and my breath came out in short pants. Ava's sweet face ran through my mind as it had been since she left my apartment that night. In my sleep and the moment I woke up-it was only her on my mind every second of the day. Who knew that I would feel like this for someone? I'd never thought I'd ever need someone but with Ava-fuck, I needed her more than I needed my next breath.

After thirty minutes of interval running, I stopped and dragged my heavy legs off of the machine. I roughly rubbed the sweat off my face and neck with a towel and then gulped down the rest of the protein shake from my bottle. Possibly, for the hundredth time, my eyes flashed to the entrance door of the gym as it clicked open and held my breath. A red headed girl that frequented here, walked through and my shoulders sagged in disappoint. You could guess who I'd been waiting for the last three days but she hadn't come.

Ava's only trait-stubbornness. I didn't blame her though since I still had yet to pick up the phone and call her. She needed space. Ava had jumped into this relationship just a few weeks after her previous asshole of an ex had treated a fine queen like dirt on the bottom of his dick-wad shoes. I grit my teeth as I dressed my knuckles in bandages, ready to beat the shit out of this punching dummy who I really wished were Blackwell.

"Lincoln." My hand stumped to a stop on the dummy. Nina. Damn it, I didn't need this girl going off on me on Ava's behalf. I grunted an acknowledgement and carried on punching out my fury. I didn't mean to be rude but my mood was sour and unlike women, we men didn't like to talk out our feelings and frustrations. I heard Nina snort and from the corner of my eye, I glimpsed her arms crossing as she took her stance. With one last, solid punch-one that resulted in a faint crack, probably the sound of a finger bone taking a hit-I turned towards her. I shook my hand in an attempt to ease some of the pain. Nina watched me with weary eyes.

"Are you just going to stand there or tell me what you want?" I asked her impatiently. Nina pursed her lips and glared at me to which I raised an eyebrow.

"You need to call Ava." She let out in a huff.

"Is she okay?" My body went on full alert. Nina uncrossed her arms and ran a hand through her blonde mane.

"You can't tell her I told you this." She pointed a finger and shot me a dangerous look. I frowned and then nodded my agreement. "She's miserable." Nina sighed. "Seriously, she's acting like a zombie and in turn, her damn dog is moping around too. Why haven't you called her, Lincoln?" As much as I hated to hear that Ava was hurting, it made me feel a little better that this separation wasn't working well for her either.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "I thought she wanted space." Nina rolled her eyes.

"All girls say that after a fight but we don't mean it! It's just a test to see if the guy cares enough to mark a line through that idea and bug us anyway!" Women are such mind fucks. Nina snarled at me. Shit, I said that out loud.

"So...what are you saying?"

"Call her!" Nina shrieked, throwing her hands up in frustration. "You need to call her before she thinks you don't care anymore." I tensed. There was no one in my life at the moment that I cared more about. "Well..." Nina tapped her foot irritably.

"Now?"

"Yes, now!" She moved her hands in a shooing motion. I gave her a ludicrous look and she challenged me with a murderous one. I almost laughed at how terrified I actually was of it. No wonder Kade was such a pussy when it came to Nina. This woman was damn intimidating when she wanted to be.