N.B 5

Rainier's POV

"Your dad and I have been talking. We thought it would nice to celebrate this Christmas with your grandparents", mom said after swallowing what she had been chewing.

We were at the dinner table. Mom had arrived earlier and fixed a nice meal for all of us. Working mom or not, she always made sure she cooked our food. I suspected it had more to do with keeping us on the vegetarian diet.

"We are going to Boston?" Julie asked. She wasn't pleased about it, you could hear in the tone of her voice though she tried to hide it. Grandma said Julie talked a lot and Julie of course wasn't pleased.

"No, we were thinking Marseille", dad said.

"As in we are going to spend Christmas in France?" Julie asked.

"If you guys want of course. My parents would be happy to have us", dad said.

Dad had a slight French accent. Even after 20 years he hadn't been able to shake it off. I liked it, it was part of him. He was a man of 45 years and admittedly looked younger. He was handsome with the same hair color as mine: black. His hair was also wavy, but longer. His facial hair was sleek and just as black as his hair. He was always neat and went to work in well-cut, well-tailored suits. I always jokingly told him he would fit on the catwalk or in a James Bond movie, as James Bond of course.

Mom complemented him. She was beautiful with golden-brown glowing hair and a nice body that was subjected to intense fitness regimens. Her eyes were my favorite; they were sometimes grey and sometimes blue. Mom just like dad looked young for her age. Many didn't believe Julie and I were biologically hers, especially because neither I nor Julie looked like her. We looked like our dad.

We had the best parents in the world. Though they were career people, they found time to spend with us. We were their number one priority. But they didn't just spend time with us, they understood us. When I came to the realization I was gay; I didn't worry about telling them. I knew they would support me, and I wasn't wrong. They were surprised of course, but they embraced who I was and treated me just as before. I was close to both of them, but was closest to my dad.

"I would love to go to Marseille!" Julie said excitedly.

I didn't say anything. I was just focused on my food. I loved Marseille. It was beautiful and had an old feel to it. I loved the company too, my grandparents were lovely people. They of course used English sparingly, but I was fluent in French.

"Rain, you haven't said anything", dad said.

I caught him looking at mom, and I knew why they wanted to spend Christmas in Marseille. They wanted me to not remember.

I shrugged. "It's fine".

"We don't have to go if you don't want to", mom said.

"It's fine, it'll be nice". What I was saying was in contrast to my tone.

"Rainier", mom said gently.

I stood up. "What? What do you want me to say? I don't mind going to Marseille for Christmas. Can we stop talking about it already?" My voice sounded louder than I had intended. So much for keeping it a secret how I was really feeling about the upcoming month.

"Rain, sit down", dad ordered.

I took my seat, feeling shame for lashing out. I didn't like that everyone's life was going to revolve around me yet again. My parents probably didn't want to go to Marseille, but they were going because they felt they needed to get me out of there.