N.B 4

Ryan's POV

"Are you joining us for drinks at the local bar?"

I was about to open my mouth to reply. By instinct I was going to say yes. I was tired from that day's job and needed to relax a bit. My mouth opened slightly, but someone replied for me.

"He's underage and he's going home with me. Grab your bag and meet me in the car", it was my uncle.

We were still at the shop. I was in the locker room with a bunch of colleagues. One of them had asked me to join them at the bar for drinks. Apparently it was a tradition, one I wasn't going to be a part of. They were not going to invite me again, not after what my uncle had just said. I was indeed underage, but I looked over 21. I'd gotten into bars at my old town without anyone asking me to produce an ID.

I groaned slightly. I hated been treated like a kid. My uncle left shortly while I opened my locker.

"How old are you dude?" Mark asked. He was a tall guy with a funny-looking beard.

I didn't feel like replying. What I felt like was defying my uncle and going to the bar. But of course the guys wouldn't go with me. They didn't want to get into trouble with my uncle and risk losing their jobs.

"19", I said quietly.

"Oh, you are a little baby", someone said.

I gritted my teeth, wanting to lash out. No one called me a baby. Instead I closed my locker harshly. I hated been treated like that, especially after I had spent the previous year roaming with big boys. They hadn't needed to know my age, but what I could do. My calmness deserted me.

"I am no fucking baby!" I said.

"You are 19!" the same person said. I had turned this time and I could see it was a guy named Matt. He was my height, buffy and definitely older.

"So? My age means nothing when I can do things better", I said, challenging him.

"Oh yeah, and what exactly can you do better than me?" he asked. By that time he had come to stand next to me. His nose was inches from mine.

"Matt, that's the boss's nephew, you don't want to mess with him" Matt's closest friend said. His name was Jimmy.

"I just want to know what he can do better than me", Matt said seriously. He was still standing close to me.

I remembered my uncle who was no doubt impatiently waiting for me. He wasn't going to be pleased I fought with a member of his staff.

"Get the fuck out of my way!" I ordered.

"...Or what? What are you going to do? Call your uncle?"

I was getting angrier as each second passed. Just because I was the boss's nephew didn't mean he fought my battles for me. I could do very well without his help.

"Matt, cut it out", it was Leo who said that. He pushed Matt slightly and put his hand around my shoulders, pulling me with him.

"Your uncle is waiting", he said when we were clear of the locker room.

"Why exactly did you get me out of there? I can handle Matt", I said.

I had come to like Leo. He was the one who showed me everything I needed to do. I'd spent most of the time at the store with him.

"That's what you think. Let me give you a piece of advice. Matt represents everyone in this store who doesn't like you, and trust me it's almost everyone. I know it's unfair, but that's just how it is. Picking a fight with him is picking a fight with everyone", he said.