CHAPTER SEVEN - Paddy's Failed Plan

"I know," James said when Sirius had explained his theory. "They seem so distant. I wonder what they're talking about... There's no chance in hell Remus would tell us, and I'm not sure Peter understands it very well."

"I would normally suggest we sneak into their room at night and hear what they're gossiping about but they probably have the enchantments on the stairs to keep boys out of girls rooms, like at Hogwarts." Sirius sighed. James slapped him. "What?!"

"Why the hell would they put enchantments here?!" James asked. "We'll do exactly as you said! Good plan, Paddy." They arrived at back at the house. No one was in the kitchen, so they expected everyone had gone to bed. "Lily and Alessia will be in Liz's room, while Remus will be in Liam's. I think one of us should guard him to make sure he doesn't come out and tell us off for sneaking into the girls' room." James looked pointedly at Sirius.

"Not a chance! It's my girlfriend we're talking about!" Sirius hissed, as loudly as he dared. James rolled his eyes and commented on how immature he found Sirius. They argued in whisperes for a few minutes until James finally caved, telling Sirius he could accompany him. "Since when are you the boss of me, anyway?"

"I'm older, so that automatically makes me the boss of you." James said, simply.

"You aren't older! Prongs, I was born in 1959! I'm older then all of you!" Sirius exclaimed. James hushed him and looked around nervously. Not a sound was heard. Sirius contented himself with glaring at James as they tip-toed to Liz's room on the top floor.

"I know!" Lily crooned through the closed bedroom door. "He is so attractive." She then sighed and made a noise that sounded like someone rolling over in their bed. James snorted.

"You worry too much, Padfoot, they're talking about me. See the way she speaks when she just thinks about me?" He asked.

"I know! I mean, I do like Sirius, but I've got to admit, Liam is more attractive." Came Alessia's voice. Sirius' blood immediately began to boil. Liam? They were talking about Liz's effin' brother! Sirius stood up and would have barged into the room if James hadn't grabbed a hold of his ankle, making him tumble to the ground, landing with a loud thud.

"Are you mental?!" James demanded. From inside the room, a bed creaked. In two seconds flat, the door swung open and there stood a pretty pissed blonde-haired exchange student. "Now we're gonna get it..."

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" When there was no answer, Alessia turned to James, for she couldn't stand looking at her boyfriend. She smiled a sticky sweet smile and said: "Answer me truthfully, James."

"We were spying on you and Lily to see what you were gossiping about - Damn it!" James frowned at Alessia, though immediately stopped when he saw her expression. She looked terrified, though furious at the same time.

"You like Liam now?!" Sirius roared. Liz, who seemed to had previously been asleep, rolled over in her bed and felll off the edge. She sat up suddenly, wide awake now.

"No, I don't! I still like you!" Alessia replied.

"You said you liked him!"

"Did I? Did I, really, Sirius?" Alessia turned around and looked at her friends. "Did I say I liked Liam, or that I found him attractive?"

"You find my brother attractive?" Liz asked, confused.

"You said you found him attractive." Lily answered, confidently.

"Thank you." Alessia said, sarcastically. Lily stood up and walked over to her. She reached out to touch Alessia's shoulder, but Alessia rapidly turned on her and glared. Lily took a step back. "I like you, Sirius Black."

"Well, it makes no difference, 'cuz I don't know if I can trust you, now!" Sirius replied.

"Mate, stop. You'll regret it in the morning-" James tried pulling Sirius away, but got a kick in the shin in response for his efforts.

"Really? I'm not trustworthy? You're the one who ogles at every girl who walks past us, but do I ever say anything about that? No. Because I trusted you. With all my heart. I'd like it back now, please." Alessia slammed the door shut and everything suddenly became silent.

"I think you pushed it a wee bit too far, Padfoot." James said, softly.

Sirius didn't have the energy to punch him, so they made their way back to Liam's bedroom. Sirius didn't like him before, and now, it was just worse, knowing Alessia kind of liked him. Remus was leaning on the closed door when they walked up.

"I heard yelling." He said, simply.

"I don't want to talk about it." Sirius muttered, angrily, and opened the door. He walked over to the armchair and collapsed into it, grabbing the pillow and smothering his face in it. James quietly explained to Remus what had happened.

"Aw, man." Remus muttered, and left the room. He quietly walked back up the stairs to Liz's room and knocked on the door, softly. Lily answered. She stepped out and shut the door behind her. "How-"

"Bad." Lily answered, cutting him off. She had the gravest expression on her face, filled with sorrow. Remus couldn't even begin to imagine how Alessia must look.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

"I don't know..."

"Let him in," Alessia said. She paused, as if forgetting her friend's name."Lily." 

Remus entered the room and saw the saddest thing he had ever seen in his life. Alessia De Luca was sitting in the middle of the room, if you could call the position she was in "sitting". Liz was proped up next to her, patting her back, calmly. Alessia didn't seem like she was crying, but Remus couldn't tell. She had her face stuffed into a pillow, like Sirius had when he left her.

"Remus?" Alessia asked, her voice muffled.

"Yes, Ale?" He sat down on the floor next to her and began stroking her hair.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Being here for me." Alessia sighed. "You too, Lily. You guys are the best friends I could ask for."