Chapter 2

"FASTER!" our coach barks out. It's noon on an August day in the ever sunny California, needless to say, it's scorching. So if our coach thinks we can run our fifteenth fullfield sprint under 20 seconds, he's insane.

"C'mon ladies!" I yell to encourage my teammates. Although inside my lungs are about to burst from lack of oxygen and my jello-like legs are about to give out. As I cross the white line for the last time today I put my hands on my head to help my jagged breathing. My heart is ready to beat right out of my chest.

"Okay! Captains, stretch them out! See you again Monday." Coach Casper tells us before heading off the field. Mia, Rachel and I circle the girls up and begin stretching while controlling our breathing.

"I didn't think I was gonna live after sprint number 13," Mia tells me, her dark brown hair falling over her eyes. Rachel just grunts in agreement.

"Unfortunately, here we still are," I reply without enthusiasm. Things would be a whole lot easier if I were dead. You don't have to run sprints in hell.

"Just imagine how in shape we'll be for the game Wednesday," I say trying to find the bright side. Hopefully all of our hard work we did in the summer will pay off this season and we will have another shot at a State Championship.

I bend over to stretch out my right leg, "Nice ass, Meg!" Archer yells from the other side of the field where the boy's team is just starting to warm up. I roll my eyes and just stick my middle finger in the air without looking up. I hear his laughter followed by an ouch, that was no doubt my brother slapping the back of Archer's head.

The girls finish stretching then head toward our bags and water that are by the boys' stuff. I slip of my shin guards and cleats, putting them back in my smelly bag. I gulp down water from my bottle until it's completely empty, then let out a sigh of pleasure as it cools my burning throat. Swinging my bag over my shoulder I say goodbye to my teammates then head to the parking lot. I hop in my truck and drive the short way home.

Finally, I take a long, cold shower rising off the sweat and dirt on my aching body. I get out and dry myself off then throw on some sweats and a tshirt, the usual. When I go downstairs to the living room I see my two favorite things; my dad and sportscenter. I jump on the couch next to my dad, he wraps an arm around my shoulders and I snuggle up close to him.

"How was practice?" he asks.

I let out groan, "Good but my legs are about to fall off! And I got practically no sleep last night," I complain. My dad gets up and walks out of the room, so I focus on the TV where they're talking about a college football game. He returns with my favorite flavor of Gatorade, some advil, and two bags of ice.

He gives me the pills which I swallow with a sip of my Gatorade then put the ice on my feet. Instantly, coldness seeps through my skin and sooths my overworked limbs.

"Thanks, Dad" I say. He reclaims his spot on the sofa with an arm around me and kisses my head.

"You're welcome, I know you're working hard. Preseason is almost over then games will start and you'll condition less."

"I hope so. I don't know how much more my poor legs can take. I need some rest,"

"It'll all be worth it in the end, captain" my dad tells me with a proud smile. He was the most excited when my team voted me as captain. Knowing your team looks to you when you're only a junior is a nice confidence boost.

We watch espn quietly, sometimes commenting on the game highlights. Eventually Matt and Archer get home from their practice and drag their feet into the living room where they collapse on the floor.