Chapter 5

-Valerie-

"Sydney? It's the middle of the night. What are you doing here?" Valerie asked her friend after pulling her in.

Sydney sighed shakily, her bright red hair messy and falling into her face. "C-can I stay here?" she asked, wrapping her arms around herself to hide the shaking. She had snuck out, so she was constantly looking around.

"why? What's wrong?"

"I... I can't sleep knowing Jay might attack me at any given time" She said, running a hand through her hair.

"what happened?" Valerie asked, wrapping an arm around Sydney, leading her to her room.

"he threatened me again. He... He's going to try and... Force me again" she said, looking down.

Valerie stopped walking and pulled her friend into a tight hug, "I am so sorry, Syd, you can stay here if you'd like. My parents wouldn't mind" she said.

Sydney returned the hug, holding back a sob, "thank you, Valerie" she said softly.

The brunette nodded, "come on, we can talk in my room" she said, pulling Sydney into the room, sitting them on the bed...

-The Next Day; Sydney-

Sydney rolled over on the couch, falling to the floor with a thud, the carpet muffling the sound. Sydney sighed, then got up, running a hand through her hair, looking around the room, confused about why she wasn't at home, then she slowly realized why and she looked around frantically, calming down when she knew she wasn't followed. Sydney sat back on the couch, looking over to her friend who was still asleep.

She sighed, then picked up her phone from the floor when it vibrated. "hello?" she asked without looking at the caller ID, heading downstairs.

"hello, is this Sydney?"

"yes, why?" she asked cautiously.

"it's Bruno."

"Bruno? As in Bruno Mars?"

He laughed, "yes, I tried calling yesterday, but some guy picked up" he said.

Sydney's heart dropped, "look, he didn't mean what he said about me... Um, being a slut. I'm not, I swear I'm not" she said.

"oh no, it's okay, I believe you" he said.

Sydney sighed, "really?" she asked.

"yes, I do" he said.

"you um.."

"Sydney, I would like to see you. What do you say about lunch?" he asked.

Sydney looked around, "um, I don't know..." she said.

"it's fine if you don't want to. I was just offering" he said quickly.

"no no, I want to. It's just..."

"listen, if you're worried about the paparazzi, I won't let them get to you" he said.

"it's not that, Bruno... It's something else" she said.

"well, why don't you tell me?' he asked.

"I can't. There are some things that I can't tell anyone" she said.

"okay, I understand." he said.

Sydney stayed quiet for a bit, considering his offer. She wanted to spend time with Bruno, but she was worried Jay or her step parents would find her. After a while, she finally spoke, "okay... What time?" she asked.

"great, how about I pick you up around 1?" he asked, a smile in his voice.

"that sounds great" she said.

"okay, see you then, Sydney" he said, hanging up...