Jily part 15

Before the seventh years had much time to breathe between cramming and eating the N.E.W.T.S. were upon them. The final Quiddich game of the year was done and over with, Gryffindor not succeeding in winning the cup, causing their house to watch themselves so as not to lose the house cup either. Head Girl and Boy duties ceased for the time being as all the seventh years began their exam.

Lily sat near the front, her hands clasped in front of her, she felt ready for this and she knew that if she focused she would do well. She looked at the clock on the wall in front of her and waited impatiently for the go ahead.

James on the other hand was near the back, he sat by his best mates and he kept stealing glances up towards Lily his longing to finally have time with her was greater than his want for a passing grade.

“Calm down James.” He flicked his head to the left, his eyes meeting Sirius’s. He gave him a hard stare before looking back to the front; he clenched his hands into fists to keep them from shaking and then placed them flat on the desk.

“You may begin.” A nasally voice called from the front of the room.

James flipped his parchment over and began writing, his hand flying across the page. How he knew all this information didn’t make any sense to him. He had only half the amount of time to study as everyone else since Quidditch took away most of his time, and yet he found himself knowing the answers to questions he didn’t think he had studied about.

He didn’t think too much about it and immersed himself into the test. He answered question after question on test after test and before he knew it. All the tests were done and they were home free.

The nasally voice called for them to put their quills down and hand in their tests and James shot to his feet. He walked steadily up the isle and set his parchment on the table at the front of the room. He stood there only a moment more before grabbing Lily’s hand after she had placed her test on the table and pulled her from the room.

“James?” She asked him. He said nothing, his jaw clenched, his determination set.

“We’ll catch you later James.” Sirius called across the room but James just ignored him.

He pulled Lily out the door, down the corridor, down the stairs and out the front stairs to the lawn that sloped down to the Black Lake. He walked just a bit further before stopping underneath a tall Oak tree by the banks of the Lake, out of sight of the lawn.

“James are you all right?” Lily asked out of breath. She breathed heavily and gave James a questionable stare.

James caught his breath quickly and took Lily’s hands in his. He closed his eyes and sighed, breathing deeply through his nose. Slowly he opened his eyes, his gaze alighting on Lily’s bright green eyes. He then proceeded to pull her into his arms. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and breathed in her sweet scent.

“I am alright.” He whispered, just holding her there. Not bothering to worry about Quidditch, N.E.W.T.S., his friends, making pranks or anything. The only thoughts that went through his mind were those of her, the girl he had been enamored with since year one. The small muggle born who was the smartest in their class, her bright green eyes contrasting against the dark color of her red hair, and the strangely attractive competitive spirit she always possessed had him entranced. Why it took him so long to realize this feeling he never knew, but now that he had her he would never let her go.

“James,” James let Lily slide from his grasp. “Are you really alright?” She cocked her head to the side and looked up at him, those bright eyes piercing into his soul. He nodded, and took a deep breath.

“I just needed a moment.” He backed away from her, hoping he hadn’t scared her, and slid down the trunk of the oak to the ground, he crossed his ankles and laid his head back, his eyes closed.

There was a small rustling of leaves underfoot then there was warmth on his lap. He opened his eyes and looked down to see Lily’s head on his lap and her hand on his leg. He looked fondly down at her and brought his hand up to her head. He hesitated for a moment then placed his hand gently on her hair. He brushed it out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. She shivered and smiled, her eyes closed. Slowly, James leaned down and planted a small kiss on her temple before resting his head against the trunk again.

James let Lily lay there, and listened to her breathing as it slowly became steadier as she fell asleep. He pulled his sweater off and placed it on her, tucking it around her. He pulled it away from her face and his eyes caught sight of the necklace he had given her what felt like ages ago. He smiled to himself and placed his hand on her back, absentmindedly rubbing circles with his thumb and before he knew it, he dozed off.