Thirty-Five

Zeus
| thirty-five |

Zeus was sat in his office when Artemis burst through the door. She had only arrived moments, before, a panic-stricken expression on her face as she sat in the seat opposite her brother.

Zeus didn't look up as he read through some papers, his eyebrows furrowing as he sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Sure, come in," He spoke gruffly, his tone sarcastic. His eyes narrowed as he looked up at his sister; she was tired, the dark rings under her eyes told him that. Her skin was dirty, her hair was messy and the bored expression on her face told him that something was wrong.

Leaning back in his chair, he took off his glasses, dropping them onto the desk as he stared at his sister.

"What's wrong?"

Artemis wiped at her eyes tiredly as she breathed through her nose deeply. "I... Erm.." She paused, frowning as Zeus rested his elbows on his desk. "I met someone today..." She breathed. Her brother rose an eyebrow, his eyes glinting with amusement.

"What about Hermes?"

Artemis' eyes narrowed. "That's not what I meant," She said coldly. Zeus' eyes narrowed, his jaw clenching. Artemis sighed, "How to put it..." She trailed off, Zeus pursing his lips at her hesitation.

"How about you just tell me the truth?" He asked, his voice dangerously low, his sister aware that his patience was running low. The room grew silent once more, Zeus frowning as he opened his mouth, only to be cut off as his office door was slammed open.

Apollo stared at his cousins who both turned to look back at him in shock. "You guys are never going to believe who has been seen on our lands!" He exclaimed, his voice sounding almost excited, his eyes dancing with amusement. He grew silent as he looked at the blank expression on Artemis' face. "You know he's here, don't you?" He accused, pointing at the she-wolf who remained silent, her brother's eyes flashing towards her in confusion.

"Who?" He asked, his eyes growing hard as he stood from his seat, moving around his desk so that he stood by his sister, who remained in her seat.

Apollo sighed, closing his eyes for a moment before he looked at his Alpha, his expression saddening, "Your brother is being held in the cells."

Zeus froze. His expression was thunderous as he stared towards his cousin who shifted uncomfortably under his heated gaze. He moved to take a step, but Artemis jumped up, standing in between her brother and the door. "He's not alone!" She shouted, her eyes wide as she stared at Zeus, whose expression darkened. He looked towards Apollo who nodded his head dejectedly, Zeus breathing heavily as he clenched his fists.

"Who is with him?" He growled, Artemis tense as she realised he was shaking with anger. Apollo braced himself in the doorway, although he knew that if Zeus chose to attack, he wouldn't be able to stop him. He knew it was taking a lot for Zeus to force himself to remain in his office.

Artemis shuffled shyly, playing with her fingers as she mumbled, "Hades."

Apollo had to strain to hear his cousin, but Zeus being an Alpha, had heard her without a problem. He took a step away from her, turning his back on them as he ran a hand through his hair, his head bowed down as he pulled at the strands. "He's dead."

Artemis moved closer to her brother, shaking her head, although he had his back to her. "No... I found him in the woods on my way home." She frowned, "Well, he found me... But he's home, Zeus... Our brother is home."

Zeus turned around so quickly, Artemis barely had time to blink before his hands clamped down on her shoulder tightly, his blackened eyes staring down at her.