Chapter 24

Breathe in, breathe out. I couldn't stand still. It was almost time and I was extremely nervous. No, that's the understatement of the year. I was pacing the marble floor of the library with Riley lounging on one of the sofas watching me pace back and forth.

"Crystal, why are you so nervous?" she asked. "There's nothing to be worrying about. You're about to be bonded to Percy, remember?"

I stopped mid-step, and turned to look at her. "I know I shouldn't be nervous, but I just am. I mean, I have the vows memorized like Jacque told me about, but what if I say something wrong or stutter or worse." I took a sharp intake of breath. "What if I pull a Ross and say Rachel instead of Emily?!"

Riley stood up and grabbed my shakings hands. "You're really worrying about not saying Perseus's name correctly? You're the one who gave him his nickname remember? And nice reference to Friends by the way."

"Thanks and I guess  you're probably right."

She cocked an eyebrow. "Probably?"

I let out a small giggle at her mock shock. Riley smiled. "See? That's better. Loosen up. At least you have someone who is willing to be with you forever and wants to prove it now. You know how many guys I've dated that wanted that? None. They're all little immature boys. You, my friend, found yourself a wolf man."

I rolled my eyes, but my smile stayed. I looked down for the seventieth time at my choice of clothing. I had worn a dark blue dress that stopped just above my knees and it had blue lace sleeves that ran down to my elbows. I paired it with a small black belt and black flats but I still felt like it wasn't right for the occasion. Maybe it was just my head and the worry rolling off of me in waves.

"Speaking of your boyfriends, Riley," I turned back toward Riley who had sat back down on the couch. "How are you and Terrell?"

She choked on air. When she finally caught her breath, her eyes slid over to me.

"What about me and Terrell?" she asked, hesitantly.

"Oh come on. Don't pretend the chemistry isn't there. I see the way you look at each other." I knew I was stalling, but I wanted to focus on something else at the moment, and messing with Riley was my specialty.

She laughed without humor. "The way we look at each other? The look of awkwardness and shyness? Yeah, that's some look. It's not even close to how you look at Perseus or how he looks at you."

I walked over to where she was sitting and sat on the arm rest of the couch. "It just takes time. You think Percy took one look at me and loved me from the instant he saw me?"

"Yes."

"Oh," I said. I still haven't wrapped my head around the whole "love at first sight" concept with the werewolves yet. And talking about werewolves and their mates with my human friend and her warlock, is probably not going to help.

Riley looked from me to the ground. "The way you two met and your story.....It's almost like a fairytale. Like seriously, you could write a book on just this part of your life. I know this sounds really mature, but I'm jealous of you."

"Jealous?" I asked, shocked. "Why would you be jealous of me?"

She sighed and looked back up at me. "Because you have someone like Percy. Someone who loves you unconditionally, adores you, and fights for you. He'll move mountains just so he can make you happy. I'm a human. I'll never get a werewolf of my own or mate. I have to go out into the world and settle for-" she shrugged. "Ehh, he's alright."

I stood up from the couch arm rest and sat down next to Riley. "Look, I don't know what's going to happen. You have so many possibilities and things you can do with your life that there's no way anyone can predict it. But the person I know you are, deserves a heck of a lot better than the "Ok and decent" guy. If it's not Terrell, then it's going to be someone even better. I just know it."