Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Duck, Crystal! You have to dodge my attacks!" Terrell launched yet another lightning ball at me. I desperately tried to get out of the way but it hit my arm and I fell back on the ground. Thankfully, his blows were only at ten percent power or I would've been a goner. Even with the low percentage, it still hurt like heck.

"Ow!" I yelled. "I'm trying, Terrell! I just can't get the hang of this so called dodging thing!" I picked myself up and looked at him. He was walking toward me, his dark blue cape flowing in the wind.

"Crystal, if our plan is ever going to work, you need to be strong enough to hold your own against the Alphas. Of course, they won't be shooting lightning balls at you, but that doesn't mean that their paws are any less dangerous." He stood in front of me and examined my arm, yet again. "I think we're done for today with practice."

"Oh, come on, Terrel! Teach me how to attack." I tried to grab his arm and turn him to face me, but he sidestepped out of the way.

"No, Crystal. You have a better survival rate if you master defensive stances and blocks. Besides you can't access any of your attacking modes except for your fire, and that's not going to work forever. The Alphas will discover a way to avoid your fire and hurt you if you don't learn anything else."

I stomped my foot but didn't say anything. Terrell turned to face me with his eyebrow raised. "Did you just stomp your foot on the ground?" he asked.

"And if I did?" I raised my eyebrow back at him.

He smiled and shook his head. "You are just like Ri....never mind." He shoved his hands in his pockets and speed walked away.

I quickly caught up to him and blocked his path. "What were you saying?" I asked. "And don't lie. I don't want any of your B.S. so you better come clean now."

"It's well...." He raked his hand through his hair and looked at the ground embarrassed that he had said anything. "Anyway, I think you have more capability than you think you know, besides just fire."

I noticed his quick change of subject but let him off the hook, for now anyway. "What do you mean, warlock?"

"What I mean, witch, is that usually witches have control of the ancient elements, as you probably already know?" I nodded my head and motioned for him to continue. "Well, I think that because you're also part werewolf, your spell casting ability is most likely lost which means that if you do try to conjure a potion in a chamber pot, it will blow up in your face."

I remembered how I did try that with Sally and how she turned green for three days. I laughed out loud and got a quizzical look from Terrell. After a minute of laughing my guts out at the memory, I calmed myself and motioned again for Terrell to continue. He shook his head at me before continuing. "I believe that because your ability to cast spells is lost, it only leaves more energy for your control over the elements. Not many witches use that power though because it's lighter magic than the dark magic they are used to when they cast spells. That's why I think there aren't as many references in books about witches using the elements against their enemies."

I looked off in thought and actually believed what Terrell was saying. It did make sense that since I really couldn't cast spells, then I had the ability to command rocks and water to move to my will. Not only that, but maybe I could use the wind to make me fly. Man, that would be awesome.

All of a sudden, a throbbing force washed over my head. It was so strong that I fell to my knees on the ground in pain. "Crystal! What's wrong?" Terrell asked, worriedly.

I brought my hand to my head as if it would help stop the pain, but it wouldn't. The fuzziness of the bond grew stronger with every second and I could feel something or someone pushing on the other end, trying to somehow reach me. Percy. Is he trying to reach me? He is trying to break through the cloudy wall! Does he really still care for me enough to try to open the bond again? Of course, he is, Crystal! Well, I'm sure as heck not going to wait for him to break through the wall on his own. I'm going to push back with everything I've got to make that force field crumble!