8. The Babysitting Job

A smile was still present on my face as Nathan led us back to his apartment, one arm around my waist and the other impressively carrying the countless shopping bags of mine, which I was certain weighed at least seventy pounds. I tried not to make it too obvious as I stared at his rippling muscles from under his thin shirt.

Today had been an interesting day, that was for sure.

We finally reached the door to his apartment and I started to open the door when I felt Nathan's hand slip around my wrist and stop me.

Oh great, another chance for him to leave me speechless and confuse my already polarizing emotions.

"I just wanna go in-" I started to say but was cut off when he pressed his hand to my mouth.

I glared at him, contemplating whether to bite his hand or lick it.

Before I could do either, he pointed to the floor in front of his apartment and I followed his finger, spotting a pair of black leather shoes that looked pretty expensive. I noticed they weren't that big, so it didn't take me long enough to guess that they were most likely Alvin's.

Short chipmunk...

He leaned down and whispered in my ear. "He's probably here to take you back down there for more questions. I'll be there right behind you again."

I shivered slightly at his proximity, except I told myself it was due to the cold draft in the hall were in and nodded my head.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for whatever was to come.

As soon as we entered, Alvin began PMSing.

"Where the hell have you been!? Do you know how long I've been sitting here and waiting?" He yelled at us.

"Chill, you're not our mother to be yelling at us like that." I rolled my eyes and walked over to the kitchen.

"You shut up." He seethed, before turning his glare to Nathan. "We need to talk." He said in a low voice.

I grabbed a glass and filled it up with water, wondering if there was any popcorn around. This seemed to be heading towards a juicy argument.

"What's this all ab-" Nathan started, before getting cut off as his little brother ran in.

"Nathan! Luke!" He cried out, running over to us with an excited grin.

"How did he get home?" Nathan snapped at Alvin, his eyes instantly turning vicious towards the short man.

"It seemed like you and Skylar were a bit busy, so Uncle Ryland decided to save the day." He smiled a sinister smile at Nathan which made even my blood boil.

Nathan opened his mouth, looking as if he was about to go off on this man with his fists shaking in pure rage at his sides. Then he stopped as he turned to face Dustin to see his shocked and slightly frightened expression which he was making an adorable attempt at trying to mask.

Not wanting him to get more scared, I called his name and bent down with open arms.

He instantly ran my way and jumped into them as I lifted him up and spun us around in a circle. We both giggled as he momentarily forgot about the intense and unstable emotions in the room. My smile was genuine as I realized I had succeeded.

My eye even caught Nathan's as I saw him looking at the two of us with a small smile. His lips pulled up more as he shot me a grateful smile to which I simply winked at.

"Skylar, leave us and take the kid with you." Alvin sharply interrupted, killing our innocent laughter in an instant.

I glared at the deranged awful man, about to tell him to piss him off except Nathan shot me a look which advised me strongly not to.