25. The Rescue Team

Awesome banner by @daretodreamagain

I stepped out into view with a smug look, ready to beat Ryland at his own game.

But my smug look slowly faded away as I realized no one had even noticed me. Jess was too busy showing off her colorful vocabulary to Ryland, my parents were currently being restrained by two guards, looking as if they had tried to make a run for it, and Ryland was yelling his head off, his tiny face red from screaming so loud. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears.

I let out a sigh, before putting my thumb and forefinger in my mouth and letting out a loud, sharp whistle.

That caused the room to grow silent. I silently thanked Max for having taught me that.

I watched as they all stared at me in shock, before Jess broke out into a teary smile and started running towards me. "Sky!" She yelled.

I grinned and opened my arms as she almost knocked me over, chuckling as she squeezed the life out of me.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Ryland barked at his guards. "I thought you had her and the guy locked up!" He yelled, growing more enraged by the second.

"I don't know sir." One of them stuttered out, shrinking back in fear as Ryland turned to glare at him.

"Well tie them both up." He ordered, his tone cold now. "And find me that boy. Now!" He added, his voice echoing through the entire building.

Before I could protest, another guard came out of nowhere and headed straight for Jess.

I felt her cling on to me in fear and I turned to look at her.

"Hey, it'll be okay." I promised her in a whisper, going over the plan in my head. I just had to wait for the right moment.

She looked at me and her panicked expression softened once she took in my calm, reassuring one.

Then, without warning, the guard snatched up Jess away from me, before dragging her to the two chairs that were sitting in the middle of the room.

I clenched my fists as I watched him tie up a struggling Jess. I found her eyes and continued to give her reassuring looks, trying my hardest to calm her down.

It seemed to work as she stopped struggling as much. Once her arms and legs were tied to the chair, I felt myself being pushed forward and twisted around to see a dark haired guard who looked no older than eighteen, pushing my shoulders and forcing me to walk.

I kept quiet as I reassessed the plan in my head. We stopped right in front of Jess's chair, the guard taking a step back but staying behind me.

I turned to Ryland, confused as to what he had in mind.

"Don't touch her!" I heard a gruff voice yell and turned to see Randy being held back by two guards as another one dragged my mother to the chair next to Jess.

I bit my lip to keep myself from yelling at Ryland. He was really confusing me now and I was starting to doubt the plan.

I turned to see the two guards that had been holding back Randy had brought him forward to stand in front of my mother.

"Good. Now that we're all settled, let's begin." Ryland said with a happy smile.

Before I could start to guess what he had planned, he pulled out a gun from his waistband and pointed it towards Jess's head. Since she was facing me, she seemed oblivious to the deadly weapon behind her.

"NO!" I screamed out in horror, starting towards her but suddenly I was being restrained by the guard behind me. "What the hell are you planning to do?" I asked him in a deadly tone.