Chapter Twenty-Two, Part Two - To Die For

Claudia's backyard was a large square of unblemished, forest-green grass. A wrought iron patio table with four matching chairs was pushed close to the trailer, where Addy and Tidus were seated and already waiting. They both stood when I rounded the corner, looking awkward and clumsy in one another's presence. Claudia was a slight distance away from them, her back to us all and her face to the moon.

"I thought you would never get here, woman," said Addy. "Do you check your phone? Ever?"

"It died, sorry." I surreptitiously slipped the ring from my finger, setting it on the end table when she wasn't looking. I would choose a better time to explain how the ring wound up on my finger. That was an explanation I definitely didn't want Claudia hearing.

"Ok, are we ready to do this?" asked Claudia, taking her place at our sides.

I locked eyes with Tidus. He was still standing by his seat, and though his face was impassive, by now I knew him well enough to gauge when he was hiding his true feelings. "I'm ready," he said in a strong, unwavering voice. Even so, I knew he was nervous.

"There's the ring," I said.

Claudia used the corner of her afghan to pick up the ring, which caused me to wonder whether she was in love as well, or simply executing an overly-responsible measure of safety. Whatever the reason, the ring was now in her possession, and she knew exactly what needed to be done with it.

Claudia extended the ring towards Tidus. "First things first--you have to pick it up."

"You think that's a good idea?" He shot me a meaningful look which caused my insides to twist in concern.

"At this point, it won't matter if you end up cursed by the ring," Claudia said. "I'm gonna remove the spell anyway, so you'll be safe. Kind of."

Sighing, Tidus picked up the ring, enclosing it in his hands as Claudia set aside the afghan. I watched as she reached up and unclasped a golden chain from her neck. I couldn't make out the pendant hanging from the chain, but whatever it was, Claudia stepped forward and fastened it around Tidus' neck.

"For luck." Claudia tried to smile and failed.

"I won't need it," he said firmly. Nevertheless, he kept it.

"Ready?" Claudia asked again, stepping back as Tidus moved further away from the rest of us. He stood, alone, in a patch of grass illuminated by the pale moonlight. "Remember, it's just like we practiced..."

"I'm ready."

Addy's hand tugged at my arm. She pulled me back, closer to the trailer, away from the Witch and the Vampire. She squeezed my hand in comfort, and in return I gave her a hollow smile.

Claudia's voice filled the backyard with a strong, powerful resonance. Her eyes were closed and her hands hung limply at her sides. Meanwhile, Tidus was still as a statue, with a single hand stretched before him. The Countess' ring lay in the center of his palm, glittering in the moonlight.

I didn't understand the language Claudia spoke. All I heard were strange, unrecognizable, words spoken in odd, guttural tones. Seconds passed as this went on, and nothing seemed to happen. In an ugly, bitter corner of my heart, a secret part of me rejoiced that maybe, just maybe, the spell wouldn't work. But that hope was dashed when I saw the black smoke.

It rose in small wafts, curling upwards from the ring, growing thicker and swirling faster with each of Claudia's words. Fear squeezed my heart in an icy grip, as I beheld the small black cloud moving in an ominous circle, churning above the ring.

Suddenly, a high-pitched hum breached the air, vibrating painfully within my ear dreams. I clapped my hands over my ears but kept my eyes trained on Tidus. His face twisted in pain as he bled ichor from his ears and nose, but the statue was a hero with a job to do. He didn't move. He remained motionless as the cloud writhed ferociously–a growing, tangible mass that swarmed with unbridled fury like a mass of bees.