Chapter Three, Part Two - If Looks Could Kill

After lunch we decided to leave, satisfied from the meal and immature from the wine. Giggling quietly as we passed Ethan's table, I shot him another glance, but this time when he returned the look it was filled with exasperation. His girlfriend was furious, her hands white from clenching silverware, as they lay stiff upon the table.

I faced front again but didn't have time to regroup my thoughts before my attention was again caught and snared in the intensity of a stranger's stare. Captivating blue eyes caught and held my gaze, belonging to a face that was thin and handsome. The stranger was tall, taller than Ethan. He reached up and ran fingers across blonde hair cut in a buzz–the top of which was slightly longer than the sides. He was gorgeous but there was a dull undertone to his fair skin–as if he didn't spend much time in the sun. He stood at the hotel's check-in counter, dressed in a simple grey t-shirt, black jeans and classic slip-on Vans. But he wasn't wearing the outfit. The outfit was wearing him.

There was initial attraction on my end, but it fizzled when I noticed the look on his face. I matched the stranger's scowl as we passed. "Geez. Take a picture–it'll last longer."

Adelle didn't speak until were finally outside the Maison, standing on the sidewalk. "Naomi, do you know who that was?! That was Tidus Romaine – one of the oldest members of the First Family. They're the first Vampires created from the original Vampire, Samael Noble, which happens to make them super strong and super scary. He's also super attractive – but still not a Vampire I'd fuck in any sense of the word, and coming from me that's saying a lot."

"Wait a minute," Playfully I simulated her panic. "I thought Dracula was supposed to be the head honcho. Where does he fall in this?"

"Dracula is probably not even a real Vampire, you asshole." Adelle glared. "Tidus Romaine, however, is, and he's also not part of any conversation we should be having right now. Ugh, can we go? I really don't wanna be here when he walks out."

"Ok, relax," I commanded. "Besides he's not gonna do anything. Everyone knows Vampires are weak during the daytime... right?"

"Well, he would be weakened – and probably dead – if he didn't carry protection." Adelle sighed. "Some of the older, richer Vampires like him carry talismans that protect them from the sun, and all of the Romaines have one."

Before I could say anything else, Adelle hailed a passing taxi and tugged me into the backseat. As my friend instructed the cabby to simply drive, I recalled the look of surprise and contempt that had washed over Tidus' face the moment we saw each other.

"I can't explain that look." I said. "It was almost like he recognized me."

"Well, let's hope he's just racist."

Perhaps Tidus did hate me, or maybe he hated all Wolves. But there was still one thing I was quite sure of: that level of hostility wasn't reserved for people you didn't know.

* * *

The rest of the day passed with no other unpleasant surprises. And over the next few weeks, all thoughts of Tidus were replaced by the important tasks of drinking and partying with Adelle.

But suddenly it was July and a new moon was just around the corner. I had skipped the last Pack gathering, but I knew I couldn't avoid it any longer. If I planned on showing up to my first meeting without creating any awkward un-pleasantries, then I would have to finally introduce myself to the Elder.

One morning I arose, had a cold shower, put on a nice, summer dress, and added a touch of makeup. I slipped on a pair of Gucci platform sandals, threw my hair into a high ponytail, and was done.

It was an outfit that I certainly felt out of place in, but looking in the mirror I couldn't say I was displeased. Besides, would I be able to appeal to my grandfather's susceptibility looking like an innocent sunbeam, and smelling like Chanel? Judging from his actions, most likely not. But then again, maybe his wife could still be convinced.

I skipped breakfast and headed out into the watery light of a gray July morning. But as I turned to shut the front door firmly behind me, I noticed something strange.

Taped to the door was a note with my name scrawled across the front. Hesitating, I turned and glanced quickly up and down the property, as if the note's previous owner were still hanging around.

It was written in someone's personal stationary – a crème colored paper, with a decorative silver trim around its border. The design was gender neutral–perfect for either a man or a woman.

With bated breath, I unfolded the note.

Don't ever let them see you shift. They'll kill you if they find out what you really are.

Slowly I lowered the message, wondering who had left it and cursing them for their obscurity. Why couldn't the author have elaborated? Clearly they knew I was a Werewolf, but the note made it sound as if I were something more–an alien perhaps? And just who in the hell were "they"? My gaze drifted to the street, where not a breath of wind stirred. All the world was silent.

Just like my enemies.

Shrewdly, I considered the tiny black camera and its beeping red light. It was fastened almost directly above my head, and would have had a clear shot at the face of my mysterious protector. But instead, I folded the note carefully and tucked it inside my pocket. I would let them keep their identity a secret, for now.

I'd have more fun tracking them down the old-fashioned way...

* * *

I didn't let myself become dismayed when I realized my grandparents lived only two streets over in a house I passed fairly often in my travels. All this time they'd been so close, yet they'd never once reached out to me. I would've been more upset if I'd known it wouldn't make me a hypocrite. I pulled up to the curb, digging my phone from my purse to double check Adelle's text that this was the place.

My grandparents resided in a three floor, red brick home with apple trees and rosebushes in the front lawn. There were no vehicles in the driveway, and the modest, two-car garage was closed. If I shut my eyes and thought hard enough, I could imagine toys dotted across the yard and a little kid running through the sprinkler system. It was the kind of home you expected grandparents to live in.

I sat in the car for a moment longer as I considered leaving. I had absolutely no idea what I would say or do. But no sooner had I put a hand to the ignition, than the front door opened and a woman stepped out.

Left with no other choice, I got out of the car.

* * *