Chapter Four, Part One - Hot And Cold

The Blue Moon was a bar right in the heart of Harbor Village, and just a street over from the Maison. It was a creaky, comfortable, wooden structure in the semblance of a giant log cabin, with smoke that spewed thickly from a high stack on the roof. And though the bar closed its doors to no one, everyone knew that it was Pack territory. In fact, one of the Leaderships own members, Lucas Blacklock, ran the place.

Inside it was crowded and warm, and country-rock beat a tune through the dark, slightly smoky air of the place. Strong smells of tobacco, cooked meat, and liquor mixed in the air, and I loved it. After a successful evening of espionage with Addy, I could think of no place more fitting to celebrate.

Adelle cut a path through the crowd towards the bar. I took a seat on the nearest stool and was immediately approached by the bartender. He was tall, muscular, extremely tan, and dressed in the bar's standard uniform of jeans, black t-shirt, and black apron. He was in his early to mid-thirties, with long, dark hair that spilled down his shoulders, soulful brown eyes, and a mouth that was hard set on a frown. But intimidating as Lucas could appear, that certainly didn't render him unhandsome.

"Newport," he said to Adelle, in the deep, rolling voice that reminded you every bit of the Wolf inside him. In another Pack Lucas would've made a fine Alpha.

"Didn't I cut you off last week?" He frowned down at my friend, suspicious.

"Yes, but you love me," Adelle replied. "Besides, I deserve tequila. I did good today."

"Right," He rolled his eyes and turned his attention to me. "Noble. Pick your poison."

I grinned. "Your best dark ale."

"Comin' up." Lucas took the time to scowl at Addy one more time before disappearing through a doorway behind the bar. He always went to the freezers to find me the coldest beer. According to Addy, he never bothered doing that for anyone else.

"Sometimes, the way Lucas is so chill, I forget he's even a Leader," said Addy, in a low voice. "But he's been serving ever since Charles created the Leadership."

"So that means he's got money too, right?"

"Oh honey, the man is loaded. And the Blue Moon's been passed down from generation to generation in his family since, like, the early eighteen hundreds or something. Supposedly it's the oldest building in town. Back in the day, Lucas' family used this place to rack some serious dough as a speakeasy during the prohibition."

I raised my eyebrows in both surprise and approval, but before I had a chance to comment Lucas returned with my drink.

"Newport, I'll give you one shot, but no more liquor after that. You want somethin' else I'll get you a beer – I'm sick of payin' for damages."

Lucas reached below the bar to produce a shot glass and a half-empty bottle of Tequila. Adelle took the shot, disappointed, but still wiped her lips with a sigh of appreciation for the burn.

"You know, kid, your mom used to come in here and ask for ale too," said Lucas in a tone that was oddly thoughtful. "But that was back before she discovered cocktails and spritzers."

I looked down for only a second before squarely meeting his gaze. "I promise you, I'm not anything like my mother."

"Maybe, maybe not. Maybe you're more like Thalia."

"Thalia?" I drew a blank.

"Thalia Talimer – your mother's older sister."

He paused for a few moments, looking as though he wanted to elaborate and possibly say more, but at the last second he turned and simply walked away. Puzzled, I looked to Addy for answers.