Chapter Thirteen, Part One - Checks And Balances

After the reality check I received from the Elder, for the rest of the meeting I was as meek as a lamb. Pack members trickled forth, slow but steady, for the next two hours to voice their problems, questions, and appeals while I listened with open ears and a closed mouth. I was determined not to give Charles any other reason to admonish or disgrace me in front of the others. Once was more than enough.

Towards the end of the meeting, something unexpected happened–or rather someone. Taking center stage before the camera was someone I'd never seen, but I couldn't deny the overwhelming sense of familiarity when looking at him. As if some part of me recognized him.

He was pale, with skin like smooth porcelain and blue eyes as dark as the heavens at night–I swore I'd seen those eyes before. His wavy, blonde hair was long enough to be swept from his face, but it hung free to brush his shoulders. He wore a sleek suit with a stylish trench coat. His hands were in his pockets as he grinned at the screen. I knew those mannerisms. I knew that smile...

"As a member of Harbor Village's Vampire Council, I am here to formally request an informal parley with a member of your Leadership." His accent was English and charming. You could fall in love with a voice like that.

Charles was just as surprised as me. "Mr. Romaine, it's been quite some time since a member of the Council approached the Leadership this way."

"Very true, Your Elder. But you've a new Leader in your midst, and it would be terribly rude of me not to extend a proper welcome. Actually, I'm embarrassed I didn't do it sooner."

I knew it. He was here for me.

"Very well, Mr. Romaine," Charles' tone was reluctant. "Are you proposing a meeting?"

"Yes. Well, celebration more like. Problem is, I've only got the one invitation..."

I suppressed a grin of my own. Johl Romaine not only looked like his brother, but he was also a smart ass too.

"No offense, Councilor Romaine, but I hardly think it the wisest idea to leave our youngest, not to mention greenest member alone with you--or any other members of your Council." This last came from Ethan's father. He spoke with concern, but I had a hard time believing his motives were completely pure. I had the feeling his only interest lay in protecting his son's investment. He didn't want other roosters clucking near the hen house.

"Honestly, I'd invite you all but I'm a houseguest of my brother, and he's really rather shy. In large crowds he tends to get anxious and paranoid, and then people get eaten." Johl sucked through his teeth and shook his head. "Nasty business, awful mess--don't get me started on the cleanup..." I had to bite my lip to hide my amusement. "In reality, ladies and gentleman, I'm simply having a get-together. And one more is company, but inviting the rest of you would just be a fucking crowd. I hope you understand?"

I could tell by the stunned, amazed looks on the faces of my colleagues that none of them understood. To make matters worse, Mathew was fuming and Ethan was jealous to the bone. I didn't need the blood bond to feel his resentment.

"So you're asking me to your party?" Stupid question, but I needed him clarify it aloud.

"Naomi, you would be my guest of honor." He smirked. "Well, not really, but still. You should come."

He was so smug, and had such a wayward air that I knew he was a Romaine to his core. Little brother had certainly pulled from big brother's bag of tricks. I wondered if Tidus hadn't shared a conversation with his little brother about my possible alliance with the Council. If so, perhaps Johl was here on experiment. Maybe he wanted to test my allegiance and see if I would openly defy my own Leadership. Then again... what if his intentions were darker? What if Johl was here because Tidus had shared news about Claudia's visions? If so, the party could've been a trap. For this reason alone I should've declined Johl's invitation. No doubt this would please the other Leaders. On the other hand, that decision would only make me that much more untrustworthy to the Vampires if Tidus really had spilled the beans.

"Ok," I said. "I'll be there. I'm looking forward to it."

The twinkle in Johl's eyes was more than playful. It was downright devious. "Excellent. Next Wednesday night, eight-thirty, Ripley Hall. And wear something black. I'm in the mood to be amazed." He gave me a sultry wink. I blinked, and he was gone.

* * *

There were no other appointments after Johl, so the meeting ended once he left. My goal was to make it to the elevator before any of the others. I didn't care how rude it would be to go alone–even though there was more than enough room to ride together. I had to get away before they started asking questions I couldn't afford to answer.

But Charles was on to me.

"Naomi!" I hadn't made it halfway across the room before he stopped me. I rolled my eyes then turned and trudged back to the table. The other Leaders were already shifting away from us, talking quietly amongst themselves. Ethan, however, clearly had in mind the same idea–escape. He walked past me and towards the elevator, eyes straight ahead.

"I'm not sure how, but you seem to have implicated yourself in business that is far from your realm of expertise." His voice was tight, his eyes hard.

"You don't have to sugar coat your feelings with me, Grandfather." I offered my coolest smile. "Feel free to speak whatever's on your mind."

His nostrils flared. "I won't bother asking you why a member of the Council is suddenly interested in you. I've heard rumors you were consorting with Vampires, but I hadn't thought them true until now."

"I see," I replied, remembering the text Addy sent me in New York. "So someone's been gossiping. Well that's not very nice is it? I wonder who it could've been."

A thought crossed my mind, and I glanced over my shoulder just in time to see Ethan's guilty face before the elevator swallowed him. Of course. It made perfect sense. After all he'd been pretty upset about my decision to go with Tidus to New York. Who's to say he hadn't reached out to my grandfather after I left? He might've kept his word about not mentioning the visions, but that didn't mean he hadn't told the Elder other things. Why hadn't I suspected him earlier? Perhaps he really was cleverer than me. At the very least I'd miscalculated him.

I folded my arms over my chest. "What exactly has Ethan told you?"

"How did you know the Maple Street Witches are triplets?" he countered.

"Word of mouth." I narrowed my eyes. "Are you going to put me on a leash now, Grandfather? Are you so worried about what I might do and who I might talk to, that you have to keep tabs on me?"

"It's one thing to associate with a Vampire, but consorting with a Council member is just short of perfidious. If you know why the Council is suddenly interested in you then you would do well to reveal the reason. They're dangerous, Naomi, and I don't think you know what it is you're doing."

I wanted to be angry, to feel so insulted that I lashed out in a nasty way. Yet I couldn't, because deep down a tiny part of me knew that Charles was right–I didn't have a clue what the hell I was doing. I knew what I must've looked like–reckless, dangerous, selfish, arrogant. Truth was, I was all those things and maybe worse. But I would go to my grave believing the ends justified the means.

I smiled. "I can't say why the Romaine family are interested in me..." Not the complete truth, but not exactly a lie either. "But I'm more than happy to find out on Wednesday. I'd bring back doggy bags for the rest of you but I don't think Vampires like shrimp puffs."

I turned on my heel and marched to the elevator, passing Sofia along the way. I jabbed the call button, knowing there were at least two pairs of angry eyes on my back as I waited for the doors to open. I stepped inside and locked eyes with Sofia. The smile she gave me before the doors closed was vile enough to turn fresh milk.

Don't get too comfortable, Sofia. Your days are numbered too.

* * *