Chapter Eight, Part One - Push Me Pull Me

Later that evening, I ignored Adelle's reprimands as I packed. I also showed no interest in the many texts and phone calls that Ethan bombarded my phone with. All I could think about was getting on a plane to New York, of starry skies beyond a backdrop of skyscrapers, and shouting to the world from the top of the Empire State building.

"Will you at least admit you have a thing for him? It's the only reason you're going."

Adelle unpacked items as I re-packed them, coming from the suitcase as I was going back to it. I rolled my eyes as I passed her, clutching a pair of Vans she'd just removed.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" I stuffed the shoes back where they belonged.

"It's the truth."

I pulled the suitcase away from her just as she attempted to confiscate a shirt. "Addy, try not to worry so much. He's not interested in anything serious."

"Yeah, but you are. And that's bad-really bad."

"Why? It's not like it's against the Rules of the Red."

"You're right." Addy took a seat on the bed. "It's not against the Rules to fall for a Vampire. But creating half-breeds with them? That is against the Rules. And you're a Leader now - how would look to the Garou if you go around breaking the same laws you're supposed to be enforcing?"

"Vampires can't reproduce," I replied, remaining obstinate.

"That's very true, yes, but try thinking outside the box. Naomi, haven't you ever wondered what would happen if a Werewolf was turned by a Vampire or vice fricken versa?"

"No... not exactly."

"Oh, well, that's too bad. Because it's pretty messed up but at the same time kinda interesting too. Let's say - just for shits and giggles - one day Tidus decides to get a little rough during some foreplay in the bedroom. Who knows, maybe he's got a serious thing for BDSM. Anyway, he forgets his strength, he kills you, and then out of guilt, he Turns you. Now what?" I shrugged. "You wake up, and you start to mutate. I hear it's more painful than endless childbirth. And the transformation might start out the same for every victim, but no two bodies are ever alike. And no one has ever survived the change, Naomi. That's why it's against the Rules of the Red for Werewolves and Vampires to mix."

"That's not going to happen to us." Even so, I avoided her gaze as I returned to the closet. "Tidus has had a million opportunities to kill me, and he hasn't." I returned with an armful of shoes. "He's too smart to kill a Leader."

"So I've heard," was Addy's grump reply. "But if anybody starts thinking you two are together... I don't even wanna know what could happen. I mean, the last time someone from his family got involved with someone from your family the results weren't exactly pretty."

"What d'you mean?" I paused in re-folding a pair of skinny jeans.

"You don't remember all that stuff I told you about your grandmother? Or Caspian?"

Slowly, I turned to face Adelle. She was still sitting on the bed, twirling a long lock of red hair between her fingers, completely oblivious of the bomb she'd just dropped.

"Ok. Now back up to the part where you made it sound like Caspian and Tidus are family."

"That's, like, old news babe. Didn't I tell you that already?" Addy looked up, scrunching her face in thought. "Dude, my bad, I could've sworn I told you Caspian was Tidus' brother..."

"Holy shit. No wonder he's pushing me away." I raked my fingers through my hair. "He probably resents my entire family..."

"It would make sense..." I shot her a look. "Which is just another reason from a long list of why you shouldn't go with him, Naomi. And I know you really want to because he's hot like a volcano, and he probably fucks like one too - but no good will come from him. One of these days he's gonna get you killed-I fuckin' know it."

But even swallowed up in the mix of all these reasons to stay away from Tidus, I still clung to the hope that my expectations of him would never let me down.

* * *