Chapter Thirteen, Part Two - Checks And Balances

Ethan's car was still parked across the street from the Maison. He stood a few feet away from it, his hands in his pockets, waiting. So he hadn't bailed on me again–kudos for that. But he was still a rat, and I was in no mood for dishing out passes.

"You stupid, selfish, jerk." I poked him, hard, in the chest. "It's just one thing after another with you, isn't it? I trust you with just a little bit of information and you sell me out--"

"Mimi, will you let me explain?" Ethan said, in a low voice. He scanned the perimeter, as if afraid someone important might hear. "I admit, yeah, I was angry – and I'm sorry about that. But I was also worried about you. So I told my Dad about Claudia and Tidus, and how you went with him to New York. But I never said anything about the visions--I swear. And, I dunno, I guess my dad mentioned what I said to Charles. I wanted to tell you that night you went to New York, but you hung up on me before I had the chance."

It was an apology –and a fair one–but I still pushed him back when he attempted to come closer.

"I can look after myself! You don't know how much trouble your 'help' is causing me! Just... back off, ok?"

"If you're in danger how can you expect me to sit back and watch?" He grabbed me, pinning my arms to my sides. "I care about you--I'm not gonna apologize for that."

We stared at one another, both angry for different reasons. But the point was that we were connecting, and that was more than enough reason to call the white light.... I shook Ethan off before it could grow too strong.

"

"If you really care..." I took a deep breath. "You'll make sure nothing else gets back to the Elder. I mean it, Ethan. Not a word."

"Why?" he demanded. "Tell me why you can't trust him."

I looked away and bit my lip, considering. There was so much I hadn't told him... and so much I couldn't. But this one thing I could give him. I owed him that much at least. Realizing I had no choice, I conceded. I described to Ethan not only how the Elder asked my best friend to spy on me, but also my fear that the Elder would use the note I'd found taped to my door to fuel his own private war against the Vampires.

"So do you see now why I can't trust him?" I said. "Charles is looking for any excuse to be rid of the Vampires. You tell him about the visions or the note, and he'll start a war. People will die, Ethan. And I don't know about you, but I don't think I could sleep with all that blood on my hands."

"Right." A muscle twitched in his jaw. "But I'm supposed to live with your blood on my hands? If something happens to you because I didn't say anything when I could've, it'll be my fault."

"As long as you trust me from here on out, nothing bad will happen," I insisted. "We can't have the Garou pitted against the Revenant just because of a silly note and a bunch of stupid visions that--"

"Wait," said Ethan. I looked over my shoulder to find what had caught his attention.

Sofia and Charles were leaving the hotel. They were speaking, and whatever the subject they didn't look particularly pleased to be discussing it. I'd a feeling it had to do with earlier events, but I had no plans on sticking around to find out.

"Let's just get out of here." I headed towards Ethan's car.

"Anywhere in particular?"

"I don't know yet. Just drive."

* * *

After a while of aimless driving and edgy silence, Ethan stopped the car on a shady, quiet street. He shut off the ignition and took out the keys, tossing them back and forth in his hands. He didn't say anything, just waited.