Story 4: Milo * Winston

Winston was a really wealthy person. Everyone wanted to be a friend to him, but he can see their true intentions, so he goes and pretends to be friends with them. After he rejects his 'friends' later, those same people would beat him up or break into his home to steal valuable items.Eventually, almost everyone started to hate him and gangs up on him when no one was around.  He then lost all hope and trust became a problem for him. He can't seem to trust anyone.One day, Milo, a really poor boy, was looking for work. He stumbled on the steps. A bitter Winston answered the door.

"What do you want?"

"Would you be willing to give me a job? I'll do anything and won't disobey. Tell me what to do, and I'll do it."

    "Really now? If you really want my trust, you will have to work hard. No slacking off, understood?"

"I promise.I never go back on my word." Winston let Milo in and commanded his servant to take a small vacation for a month.

    "You are now my servant for the time being. You will cook, clean, and cater to my every whim. You'll get your pay at the end of the week, if you do a good job."

"Yes sir, I will do my best."

    It won't be long until he betrays me, and then his true nature will be revealed. He'll only be like the others, breaking in my home and stealing precious heirlooms.

Milo started looking for the cleaning supplies and started on the house. Hours went by and he started to make meals for the home. Winston called him and not once did Milo stall. He did his commands and went back to work. Hmm...this kid is tough...but I wonder if he really...

A week later Milo stopped momentarily and said,"I need to tell you something."

    "What is it?"

 "Don't go outside, Winston Shale. Your enemies are waiting to jump you once again."

    "How do you know?"

"I can sense danger." Milo went back to work. Winston was speechless then again, he could be one of them...I just can't trust him.Or anyone...

 A rock broke through the window aiming for Winston. But before it hit him, Milo ran and ended up getting hit with it instead on the head.

"Hey! Are you alright?? Why'd you do it?"

    "I'm your servant for the time being. And the servant always protect the master." Some blood came from his head. They saw what was going on from the outside. They ran in took Winston's servant and started beating him with the rock and other weapons.

"Please...beat me as much as you like...just don't hurt my master..." Winston was horrified to what was going on, for this kind of thing would happen to him on a daily basis. After they were satisfied, they left him there. Milo staggered back up and went back to work. What the hell is he doing??? He's hurt, but doesn't complain. He just acts as if it were nothing! Is he really that devoted?

When a week was over, Winston receive strange luck. the people that beat Milo before gave back the heirlooms and apologized. They wanted a second chance. Winston didn't know what to think. He looked at Milo, and all that he did was nod. Winston resisted and Milo gave him a little nudge, but finally gave in. He actually had a good time with them. For the first time in his life, he had other people to talk to. He was finally getting what he wanted, someone to trust.

Eventually, Milo was in very bad shape, but he kept working non-stop. Winston was in complete shock to see that he was still there working on cleaning the house.

"Must...Give....luck..."

    "Please stop! You're in no condition to work!"

"I cannot...I have to work....to give luck...."

    "Stop talking nonsense! Please sit down!"

"If you say so..." Winston sat on the chair and Milo sat on the floor.

    "Uh, you can sit on one of the chairs, you know."

"From what I know, servants are not allowed to sit on chairs or other royal-"

    "But I'm not a prince. Are you disobeying me?" Milo quickly got to his senses and sat on a chair. "So tell me, why did you get beat up instead? Everyone hated me! They don't even know you!"

    "Let's just say I'm a whipping boy."

"But I told you, I'm no prince."

    "Touche, Winston Shale."

"Stop calling me that!"

    "Well, that is your name, isn't it?"

"You don't have to say my full name."

    "So what do you want to be called?"

"Winston." Just where is this guy driving at??" How do you know my name first of all?"

    "Well, someone needed help with trust...and you were picked." The two boys flashed and arrived in the forest.

"Where are we?"

    "Winston. Do you trust me?"

"You were beat up by the people who became my friends, regrettably...you kept working even though you were not in good shape to do so...Things changed when you showed up at my doorsteps. I think that's enough reason for me to trust you."

    "Okay then. I'll tell you everything. My name is Milo. I am known as a Luck Exchanger."

"Hey! I've heard stories about it...but I assumed they were just some folklore. So what are you called again? Luck Switchers?"

    "No, A Luck Exchanger. A spirit that takes away all your bad luck. But in order to do that, they have to temporarily obtain most of their client's bad luck. When I warned you on what would happen, I applied that terrible luck upon myself. I work for my clients so that the good luck will apply to them."

"I see...You really helped me realize something..."

    "What would that be?"

"Real trustworthy friends devote themselves to others." Milo just smiled. the forest was starting to disappear. "H-hey! What is happening here?!"

"I forgot to tell you. There is a limit an Exchanger could be with their clients."

    "What nonsense is this?! I thought you would stay!"

"I won't be here physically, but my luck will be with you, as long as you're grateful on using it. Selfishness will only cause it to come back."

    "I'll find a way to stay grateful."

"I'm sure you will..." Those were his last words before he disappeared with the forest. he found himself sitting back in his home. He then got his bags went o other people's houses and asked, "Would you be willing to give me a job?"