The Perfect Night Part 1

Hayden’s POV-

“Good morning, Colby! Today, on this beautiful Monday morning at 6:30am, the atmosphere will be clear from all clouds with the high of 70° Fahrenheit and a low of 55° Fahrenheit.”

“Errrg.” I groan loudly as I grab the pillow lying next to my head and pull it over my face. My eyelids close tightly together while I huff out in irritation. Mondays. Honestly, I hate Monday mornings more than anything. I just want to go back to sleep. I’m sure most people would want to do the same, but when you’re completely exhausted from the lack of sleep for two months straight, nothing sounds as good as a full day of sleep.

I grab ahold of the blanket that was covering the lower part of my body and bring it over my head while I shift my body onto my stomach. I inhale deeply and think only of going back to sleep. That was, however, until I heard my bedroom door slowly creak open.

“Hayden, sweetie, it’s time for you to get up. You have a student council meeting at 7:30 this morning. Breakfast will be finished by the time you get down stairs. My father calmly explains as he retreats from the doorway and walks down stairs. I sit up slowly in my bed and let out a loud, long yawn as I raise my arms in the air in order to stretch them out. I press the palms of my hands against my eyes and rubbed them a few times. Moving my legs over the edge of my bed, I stand up as slowly as humanly possible. I mean seriously, who wants to get up early and sit in an hour long meeting where no one discusses anything important? Obviously, no one would.

Once both of my feet were flat on the cold, hard wood flooring, a shiver quickly makes its way from the tip of my toes to the very top of my head causing my body to jolt. Goosebumps form rapidly upon my skin. I wrap my arms around my waist and walk out of my room and into the bathroom located down the hall.

Within about 10 minutes or so I was done with my shower and I hurriedly put on a pair of my gray swim team sweatpants along with my white Columbia sweater. I put my hair up in a high, messy bun and put on mascara before making my way downstairs into my kitchen.

The most wonderful mixture of smells of bacon and eggs fill my nostrils the moment I step foot into the entrance of my kitchen. A bright smile of delight forms on my face while my mouth begins to over flow with saliva. My stomach grumbles hungrily as I grab a seat closest to the kitchen windows. I attentively watch my father make the last egg as I wait patiently for him to finish.

“Good morning, dear. Did you sleep well last night?” My father asks happily while he flips the eggs. The pan let out a low sizzle from the liquids being boiled. I continue watching his every movement before giving him an answer. He turns his head slightly to see if I heard him. All he had to do was look at the expression on my face to understand why I hadn’t answered him because he immediately knew what I was about to say. He turns his attention back to the eggs and nods slowly. “Still having those nightmares?” He questions. I look down at my hands resting on the kitchen table and nod. He lets out a sympathetic sigh. “A week ago you told me they had stopped. You lied, didn’t you?” In response I nod again without looking up. I could feel his eyes watching me carefully, but I didn’t want to look. His face would show the same facial expressions like all of the other times I would explain my dreams to him. I was tired of seeing sympathy on his face. I didn’t want people to feel sorry for me because I brought this pain upon myself. He obviously couldn’t do anything about the situation I was in, but he was trying his best to cheer me up because that’s what fathers do. “Why didn’t you tell me they didn’t go away?”