Chapter 33: Chapped Lips and Stolen Beer.

Mrs. O'Connor's POV:

I look up when I hear the door open, and Kate walks in first. Her cheeks and tip of her nose are red, like every time she's exposed to the cold. Jack walks in behind her, lacking an expression or any sort of emotion on his face.

They both start scanning the room for me so I put my arm in the air so they see me. Jack notices first and nudges Kate. She looks annoyed at him for some unknown teenage reason and he rolls his eyes, knowing that she's angry

He speeds up to say something in her ear and she ignores him. There are six nurses here, including myself, and two are sitting across from the other two, and the remaining two are on my side of the table, Kate slides in next to Monica, and Jack next to her.

"Hey," Kate says to me while taking off her jacket.

"We got a few appetizers and I ordered you two waters," I say, and she smiles at me.

"How are you?" Monica asks her, throwing her arm over Kate's shoulder.

"I'm good, how are you?" Kate says, smiling at her.

"Good, I haven't seen you in so long." Monica says, and Kate nods over to Jack.

"That's my boyfriend, his name is Jack," Kate says, and Jack tries for her. It's obvious- to me- that he doesn't want to be here, but he gives her a little smile.

He tries for her, and I know he cares about her, but this is my daughter. I want the absolute best for her. I want her to marry a sweet, smart man from her Ivy League school and start a life with him. I don't want her ending up with a cigarette smoking bum who just got his first job at a construction company. I want her to marry a doctor or journalist or whatever successful job they have.

Kate's POV:

"He's got that city, hot look," Monica says in my ear, and I laugh.

"I guess he does," I say, looking over at him.  He's wearing a gray sweatshirt and jeans.  His hood is still up from when we were inside, and he's leaning over his water drinking it through a straw.

"What does he do?" Monica asks, and I pull my sweater over my cold hands.

"Construction," I tell her, and she nods.  "He worked today."

"Must be tired, construction is hard work." Monica says, and I look over at Jack who shrugs.

"A little.  It's cold out," Jack says, and when I look at him he's already looking at me.

"What?" I laugh, and he smiles.

"What what?" He says, and I shrug while still laughing.  He takes my chin and angles my face upward to kiss me. He gives me those quick kisses, one peck and another and another and another.

"Your lips are dry," I say, and he puckers his lips.

They've been getting chapped from working so long in the cold so I've been putting my fruity Chapstick on him. I dig through my pockets and then my purse looking for my Chapstick, and find it in the side pocket. I should be conscious of where I put it. I pop the cap off and drag the moisturizer over his chapped lips. It's cherry flavored and makes his lips look a little redder than usual to match his nose and cheeks.

"Thank you," Jack says right before rubbing his lips together and pretending to check himself out in a spoon.

I would have gotten him a bunch of Chapsticks for Christmas but I like when he uses mine. I think it's so cute the way he pushes out his lips and waits for me to put it on him. I'm selfish.