Chapter 22: Cookies.

It's takes two hours for my mom to finally come into my room to make peace with me. She knocks on my bedroom door, and then stands in the doorway before finally entering. She sits on the edge of my bed, and I wait for her to begin speaking.

"I know that it looks like I'm being mean and heartless, but I'm just trying to ensure the future you worked so hard for. I don't want some high school boy to ruin it for you."

"You're forgetting that I have a brain in here, mom. You're not the only one who's got one," I say, tapping my finger on my skull.

"I know, but you're young and naive, I've experienced more than you." She tells me, and I shrug.

"I'll be fine. I won't let anything happen to my future, I'll keep myself safe, I won't stay around him if he treats me bad, I'll make all the right choices. You just have to trust me."

"I do trust you," she says, patting my leg. "I have to go back to work at ten tonight so I'm going to sleep and then leave." She tells me, and I lean into her kiss on my cheek. "I love you."

"Love you," I say, watching her walk out of my room and shut the door.

I think about calling Jack to tell him what time my mom will be leaving, but decide not to while she can still hear outside of my door. A better option would be to call Meg because I know there's some smoothing over to do with her. She's kind of angry at me.

I pick up my phone and dial the number I know from heart, and hold it to my ear, anxiously waiting for her to pick up. When she does, she stays silent but I hear noises every now and again.

"Meg?"

"I'm here," she says sharply, and I swallow.

"I didn't mean to worry you," I say, and she stays silent. "You don't understand, I know you don't, but Jack has this thing about him that just makes me want him. I don't get it either. But, I guess we're sort of dating now. I'm not really sure what's going on but he makes me happy. And sad. And angry. I don't know what the fuck is going on, but I can't stay away from him."

"He's not a good person. Kate, he hurts people and he's a fucking drug addict." Meg says, and I think for a moment.

"I don't know what to tell you."

"Tell me that you're going to stay away from him."

"I can't," I say, and she hangs up on me.

How can she be mad at me for doing something in my life? She's so not like this. I get out of my bed and grab my keys off of my desk, walking downstairs.

"Going to Meg's!" I yell, and I don't wait for a response from my mom before I walk out of the door.

I get into my car and drive the five minutes over to Meg's. I let myself in her house because only her car is in the driveway and I don't have to worry about walking in on anything with her family. I walk downstairs to her basement where she usually is, and I'm right. She's laying on her couch watching tv, and when she sees me, she just looks away.

"Come on, Meg. Don't be mad," I say, sitting on the floor next to her face.

"You should have told me that you were staying the night with him. I had a fucking heart attack. I thought something happened and you didn't make it home. You could've just been honest with me." She says, and I nod.

"I'm sorry. You're right. I was just scared that you wouldn't let me go," I tell her, and she laughs.

"I wouldn't have. That's some shady shit."

"He won't let anything happen to me," I say, running my fingers over my hair. "I know what it looks like, and I know that he looks like he's a bad person, but he's not. He does bad things, but he's not a bad guy. He won't anyone hurt me and he sure as hell won't her me himself. Trust me, Meg. I'll be okay."