Fable: The Dog and the Cat

Once, there was a young dog. Death was taking care of his beloved parents. He found himself in a dumpster. He no longer thought of his misfortune, the only proof of his brief mourning was the temporary melancholy state he had been in. The animal tumbled out of the dumpster. 

His eyes were wide as he looked everywhere. The streets. The people. The world. Joy. Reflected in his eyes, were colors of the most brilliance and warmth and an astonishing innocence. His stomach growled. He then spotted a thin haggard cat. Maybe it'd help. 

He asked, ''oh, pretty please, mister cat, may I have some food? I am so very hungry.'' 

The cat licked its paw and rasped, ''hm, well go beg that human over there for food and then...come back so we can share.'' 

The dog walked over to the human. He opened his eyes as wide as he could, did all the tricks he could think of. The human finally smiled and tossed him a sandwich. The dog barked happily and walked back to the cat, with the sandwich in his mouth. ''Hey, you have something in your eyes. Let me help you get it out,'' whispered the cat. His claws whipped out from his paws and with a mighty strike, he scratched the puppy's eyes. 

The puppy could not see and walked in circles, crying and crying. Thus, the cat stole the sandwich and when the last crumb was gone, the cat said, ''all is fair in love and war. Do not expect for there to be only good in everyone and everything and not any bad.''

Now, in the dog's eyes was blood and in his mind, colors of the darkest, deepest and saddest hues.
~