Memories of the Past-Chapter1

Chapter 1:

We’ve moved, again. We were living in Brooklyn only days, no, hours, ago. Straight away, my 11 year-old sister, Grace, ran in and sat in the centre of a room. I’d followed her, I was fine with her having the room, and the wall and spare furniture were extremely pink. I dropped off the teddies, 8, which she had brought for the journey on her floor around her. “Can we play hide and seek?” Grace asked. I ignored her and walked down the stairs. Mum handed me my art box that I brought in the car. I brought it into my room and started to draw a picture of someone being followed by a shadow whilst listening to Evanescence on my I-pod Nano.

After half an hour, Grace came in, my music was up on full, so I didn’t notice her at first. She then opened the curtains, revealing the high amount of sunlight that could have been in the room. I stood up and pushed her out of the way lightly, closing the curtains. “Why’d you do that!?” I yelled, only slightly pissed off.

“You weren’t listening, I just wanted to play!” she screamed, running into her room.

I was about to shut the door, but then Mum put her foot in front of it so it wouldn’t close. “Can I come in?” she asked.

“You’re gonna anyway.” I said, sitting back against the wall, placing my headphones back in my ears. I continued drawing.

Mum sat next to me and pulled out my right earplug, since she was that side of me. I stopped drawing when mum took the sketch pad and flipped through the pages. “What happened to the old you? The one that never stopped smiling and drew rainbows and unicorns, people with happy faces? What about your coloured pictures? What happened to those?” mum asked.

“They’re all a part of my past life, this is the new me, get used to it, after all, it was your idea in the first place.” I said, annoyed. I placed my headphone back in my ear and started to draw again.

Mum sat there for a few moments then pulled my headphone out again. “Please, we’re starting again, again, but don’t get upset. Don’t hide away in depression this time, don’t hide at all please.” Mum begged. “Be happy.” I stood up, turning my I-pod off, pulling my other headphone out and dropping them and my A5 sketch pad on the floor.

I stood at the door. “See this,” I said, pointing at my fake smile. “I’m totally happy mum.” I left the room and I heard mum sigh.

“AMY!” mum yelled at me in the morning, opening my curtains to wake me up at 7o-clock in the morning. “Get up please.” She moaned.

“Fine.” I said, standing and walking downstairs.

I hated walking downstairs in the morning. Dad would’ve been waiting with his friends Billy and Joe. The sick bastards would be there every day, except that day.

I opened the fridge door and pulled out a carton of milk. I poured myself a glass and sat in the living room with Grace. She was wearing a pink t-shirt with Barbie on it, and, skinny jeans with her favourite trainers too; pink and white with My Little Pony on it.

I, however, hadn’t gotten dressed yet.  So, I was still wearing a grey shirt that was too big for me, and jogging bottoms. Mum tapped me on the shoulder.

“Get dressed.” She said.

“Fine.” I said, going back upstairs with my milk and picking out some baggy trousers and a black t-shirt with the Linkin Park logo on it, 30 Seconds to Mars’ logo too, and many more. In the centre of it, there was Kerrang’s logo: ‘Kerrang TV Radio Internet’ it said. I put on one orange and black striped sock and one green and black striped sock, both knee highs. I then placed some old converse on, grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.