Chapter 4: Villagers

"Oh! T-thank you!"
The woman appeared in front of him, grabbing the child.
Everything looked fuzzy.
Then the world around him came into focus and his head began to hurt.
"Ah..."
The boy slowly stood up, rubbing the side of his head.
His head was spinning with new thoughts.
Alex...
"I think my name is... Alex?"
He shook his head and looked around at burning buildings and saw the fire girl from before knelt down by fierce orange flames.
She gently touched the fire and it slowly began to disappear, as if she was absorbing it.
She also began to glow more and more.
Alex put his jacket back on and jogged towards the girl, completely unaware of his surroundings.
When he was about 10 blocks away from the girl he heard a loud snapping sound and looked to his right.
The wall of a tall wooden shack was falling down towards him in a bundle of bright flames.
Alex's eyes widened as he stood in silence.
Before he could react and before the structure toppled down on him, he felt a rush of force send him flying back.
He landed on his back and quickly looked up.
The fire girl had pushed him away and saved him from a fiery death.
Now, she was lying on top of Alex with her hood up,
"Uh..."
Alex began to get up and saw that the girl had jolted right up.
She looked at him with a red face before running back towards the small remaining flames within the village. Alex saw that aside from her wolf ears, she also had a red wolf tail gently bobbing as she ran.
Alex reached out with his hand and opened his mouth to say something, but he slowly put his hand down and sighed.
Alex brushed dirt off his jacket and jogged back inside the village.
* * *
After a little while later, most of the fire had vanished, aside from tiny bits of yellowy flames that would appear beneath rubble and such.
The whole village was a mess, with almost no buildings left at all.
Out of the 18 buildings only 3 were left, and those remaining buildings were scorched black and partly destroyed.
As the sun began to rise, giving light to this dark day, Alex was helping the female villager, who's name was Hally, he had saved and was relieved to see that the little villager, Rilo, was alive.
Rilo had a small burn on his face but he seemed okay.
Alex on the other hand only had a couple of bruises and a headache.
Alex put his hand on the Hally's shoulder and walked off when he saw the girl.
All of the many villagers were trying to recover from this unbelievable disaster in a big group right next to the village and halfway in the woods.
Alex walked over to the fire girl who was standing alone under an old birch tree. He finally got a full look at her, she was wearing red boots, red shorts, and a white hoody.
"Um, hi"
Alex put one hand behind his head and put the other out to give the girl a handshake.
Instead she looked at his hand and then looked away, crossing her arms,
"Hi."
Alex looked down at his feet for a moment,
"Sorry if it looked like I was following you earlier, I was lost and to be honest I don't even know where I am."
The girl looked at him,
"well, you're in a village called Burrow Village."
Alex put his hand out again for a handshake and said,
"My name is Alex, and I awoke this morning with no idea where I am or even who I was."
The girl took his hand and they gave a quick shake, "I'm Firea"
Alex nodded his head and looked towards the villagers.
Firea adjusted her hood a little and said, "You don't remember anything?"
Alex scratched his head,
"Well I awoke this morning in the forest all sore and such, and I couldn't remember much at all. I mean, I remember basic stuff and things that are simple but I didn't even know my name until recently and I don't even know what I look like."
Alex pointed to the tree Firea was under, "like, I know that's Birch."
Firea slowly nodded her head,
"Interesting... That's odd."
After a moment of silence Alex spoke up,
"So how did this all happen, the fire?"
Firea looked away like she was hiding something, "the hunters..."
Alex raised an eyebrow, "the hunters?"
"Yes, Fire wolf hunters, they take pride in killing our kind... and they do horrible stuff like this to make people think us Fire wolves did it."
Alex felt sorry for Firea,
"Any idea where they are?"
"Not a clue, Alex."
He looked back towards the villagers,
"So what now?"
"What do you mean, you didn't think you were coming with me? I don't even know you."
Alex kicked a small stone,
"Well... you're the only one I know..."
He put his hands in his jeans pockets and sighed.
Firea took a step forward and sighed,
"Fine.... I will take you to the next town, that's where all the villagers are most likely going."
He instantly felt happier,
"Oh, thank you! Maybe I can find out who I am there."
Alex noticed she seemed a little annoyed, but she also had a tiny smile.