Chapter 3: Hot Fire

"Wait!"
The boy ran after the mysterious fire girl who was going towards the loud boom.
After a very short period of running, he noticed the fire girl had stopped at what appeared to be the edge of the forest.
The boy jogged and stopped next to the girl, huffing and puffing.
In front of them was a large village with mostly wood and cobble houses to be seen, and there was fire, everywhere.
The boy and girl both heard screams of helpless people,
"We have to do something!"
The boy pointed towards the village,
"People need our help!"
The fire girl glared at him for a moment and then ran towards the inferno that was the village.
"Right..."
The boy sighed and followed into the roar of flames. He looked around and almost immediately lost the girl.
He swerved around pockets of fire on the ground and stopped when he heard cries for help.
He tried listening closer and figured out that the screams were coming from a tall, boot-shaped, stone tower about 20 blocks tall.
The boy dashed towards the building and busted through the wooden door, only to find a heap of burning wood in the way,
"HELLLP!!"
A woman was screaming from the other side of the pile of wood.
The boy took off his jacket and set it outside the building before going back in towards the pile. He grabbed the only part of the heap that wasn't on fire, a large pole stretching from one wall to the other.
With all his might, the boy heaved the wooden pole upwards, leaving a small crawlspace at the bottom of the pile open, "Hurry!"
It hurt his arms to keep this pole up and he looked down, relieved, to see that a woman with a bald head and large nose in ripped up and scorched brown clothing was crawling under.
He dropped the wood as soon as she made it across and sighed as he helped her out the door.
She started sobbing frantically,
"W-wait! My s-son is still inside!"
As she fell to her knees in tears, the boy reached over and grabbed his black jacket. He wrapped it around his mouth and nose to protect himself from the smoke, and then he charged back in.
He looked at the wall of wood and fire for a moment and then noticed in the upper right corner about 3 blocks up there was a spot the flames had yet to reach.
As the room filled with thick black smoke, the boy leaped up onto the pole he had lifted before, and then jumped against the right wall going through the clear gap and landed with a thud on the cobblestone floor.
With the pile of flames now behind him, there was a wooden ladder leading to the next floor of the tower in front of him.
The boy tightened his jacket and started to slowly climb the ladder, squinting his eyes in the heavy smoke.
Ever so slowly, he gradually climbed and climbed until finally he came to a wooden trapdoor halfway on fire,
"Umph!"
The boy shoved the trapdoor up which apparently had burning sticks piled on it.
He climbed up through the entrance and stepped onto the next floor, in front of him he could see a glass window, a lot of fire and smoke, and a little bald boy wearing the same outfit as his mother curled up near the window.
"I'm coming!"
He jogged towards the young kid and noticed he was lying there lifeless with black burns on his body.
The boy looked at the small child with sadness and picked him up.
The boy looked back towards the trapdoor and felt panic rising in his chest, the trapdoor and ladder had engulfed in flames and there was no way out.
Or was there?
The boy kept the small child close up against his chest as he looked towards the window.
He felt his heart beginning to race and started running as fast as his legs could take him towards that window.
When he was less than 2 blocks away from the window, he leaped, crashing through the glass.
The boy covered his face with one hand and covered the small child with the other as millions of little glass pieces began to fly through the air.
Before he knew it, the boy was flying out the window and through the air.
As quickly as he broke out,
he came down to the ground,
with his head
meeting the gravel.