chapter 28 ~ the worst day of my life

CHAPTER 28 - THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE

***

"I can't believe he still isn't home, Macy. I need the book and I told him that yesterday. I have to put it back before Nathan looks for it and sees it's gone." I said while trying my best to navigate through the mass of people that was walking in the direction I came from. This sidewalk definitely wasn't big enough.

"Do you know what I can't believe? That you forgot the book at Braden's place." Macy replied.

"We were fighting, I just forgot about it." I mumbled and barely managed to get out of the way of a little girl that was eating some ice cream. If I hadn't seen her, her ice cream would've been on my black dress now.

"I hate children." I said out loud, rather by accident than on purpose. I was actually just thinking about it and had suddenly said it so that everyone around me had heard it, including the child's mother who was now giving me a dirty look. Well, I was just being honest.

"Since when do you hate children?"

"Well, a little girl just almost used my dress as a bin for her ice cream. That was the moment my opinion on children changed." I answered.

"Alright, I'm sure you will have forgotten about that again by tomorrow."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." I said through gritted teeth. The fact that Braden still wasn't home was annoying me which resulted in me being a bit on edge.

"Howsoever, back to the topic. What if Braden confronts Nathan with the book because you've cheated on him? Nathan knew you were in a relationship with him when the two of you had sex. What if he wants to make sure Nathan knows he's made a mistake by doing that?"

"No, he wouldn't do that. Braden knows that I've just taken the book from the closet, he would never get me into trouble." I said.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." She mimicked my words from earlier.

"I'm sorry Macy; I'm back home now and have to make sure Nathan doesn't get near his closet before I get the book back."

"But didn't he have to get some clothes to wear this morning?"

"It's barely past 11 in the morning and it's his day off. He is still asleep, believe me. He never gets up before 1pm on those days. I'll talk to you later."

"Alright, bye." She replied before I ended the call.

I quickly went upstairs and unlocked the door of Nathan's apartment before stepping in. To my surprise he was already awake and sitting on the couch.

"I didn't think you would be awake. What happened?" I asked with a laugh.

"Someone came by and woke me up." He replied with a serious voice.

I frowned. "What's wrong with you?"

"Don't you want to know who came by this morning?" He said and looked up at me for the first time. In his eyes I could see a mixture of anger and pure disappointment and my heart dived. He had never looked at me like that and it had been long since there had been anything that had made me feel as bad as I felt right now.

"Sure." I finally managed to say. It sure hadn't been someone he liked.

"Your lovely boyfriend." He replied and I inhaled sharply.

"My boyfriend?" I said in a weak voice. "What boyfriend?"

"Cut the crap, Payton!" He said in a loud voice and made me flinch. "Thanks for being so honest with me."