chapter 23 ~ rufus the red, plushy animal

CHAPTER 23 - RUFUS THE RED, PLUSHY ANIMAL

***

“Are you ready?” Jennifer asked Nathan and me when we were standing next to them on the porch.

“Yes, we are. Payton was just a little nervous, that’s all.” Nathan explained.

“I thought so.” Jennifer laughed and rang the doorbell.

Then it was silent for a few seconds. Nathan and I were standing a bit behind Jennifer and Tyler and Nathan had taken my hand to calm me down a bit.

The little boy was moving around in his mom’s arms and was trying to reach the still closed door with his tiny fingers. It was almost as if he knew that his grandma would open it in a few seconds.

“I’m so excited.” Nathan said beside me and I looked at him to give him a smile.

Even though I was still nervous I was also happy because bringing Nathan home was probably one of the best ideas I’d had in a long time. He was a completely different person, but in a positive way.

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a key that was turned around in a lock and then the front door was opened.

I looked back to the house and could see a blonde woman that was standing in the doorframe.

Nathan’s and Jennifer’s mom was a lot smaller than both her children and a bit chubby. She was wearing a plaid apron and a bright smile appeared on her face when she saw her grandson and her daughter.

“Granny.” Tyler squealed and immediately reached out his arms towards his grandmother.

Jennifer handed Tyler over to her mom and he gave his grandma a kiss on the cheek as soon as she was holding him in her arms.

Mrs. Atkins and Jennifer laughed out loud and so did Nathan and I. How could someone be so sweet?

“Tyler, do you want to play with Rufus? He’s waiting for you inside.” Mrs. Atkins told her grandson and Tyler’s eyes immediately went wide.

Wait. Who was Rufus? Did they forget to tell me that they still had a brother?

“Rufus.” Tyler then repeated after his grandmother and clapped his tiny hands together.

“I knew you’d want to play with him.” Mrs. Atkins said and put Tyler down on the ground. He immediately got up again and waddled past his grandma and into the house as fast as his short legs could carry him.

“Hello Jennifer.” Mrs. Atkins then said and hugged her daughter.

“Hello mom. I think I should probably follow Tyler inside as fast as I can before he breaks something.”

“Yes, that’s a good idea.” She laughed. “And there are some treats on the kitchen table, maybe he wants to feed Rufus a bit.”

So Rufus was a dog?

Jennifer walked past her mom and then Nathan and I were the only ones who were still standing on the porch.

Until now Nathan and I had mostly been hidden by Jennifer and Tyler but now Nathan’s mom directly looked at us for the very first time today.

Her eyes rested on her son and within a few seconds the first tears were rolling down her face.

“Nathan.” She whispered.

“Mom.” He said in the same tone and suddenly they were in each other’s arms.

It all happened so fast that I hadn’t even realized that he had let go of my hand.