chapter 21 ~ she would give her life for us

CHAPTER 21 - SHE WOULD GIVE HER LIFE FOR US

***

"What the hell is what?" I asked in confusion and looked at Nathan.

But he obviously hadn't heard me because he was just staring at his sister who was now standing in front of us.

"You're pregnant?" Nathan then said and I immediately turned back to his sister to see if he was right.

And really, you could clearly see the small baby bump that was already forming below the black dress she was wearing.

Nathan was standing in front of her with his arms akimbo like a mother that was telling her child that mud isn't delicious even though it looks like Nutella.

"Can we please talk this out in private?" His sister replied and motioned for us to follow her into the employee area of the book store.

Nathan didn't move at first but when I pushed him from behind he had to follow her anyway.

"Let's take this room." She said and held open the door to let us in.

Nathan stomped past her like a petulant child but I stopped before stepping into the room.

"I can wait out here." I suggested. "So that the two of you can talk in private about it."

"No, you're coming in here with me. You're his girlfriend he's going to tell you about this later anyway, and aside from that you're probably the only one who can stop him from being so stubborn."

"You might be right about that."

I stepped past her and into the room. It looked a bit like the dressing rooms they had at broadcasting studios and movie sets, I immediately felt at home.

Nathan was already sitting on an old couch in a corner of the room and had crossed his arms in front of his chest. He could be such a diva sometimes. Yes, his sister was pregnant, but that wasn't exactly a reason to suddenly be so stubborn.

I heard the door close behind me and so I made my way over to Nathan to sit down on the couch next to him. He didn't even deign to look at me because his eyes were focused on his sister who was now sitting down in an armchair across from us.

"So why did you suddenly turn up again?" Jennifer asked and looked at her brother with an expectant expression.

It was silent for a bit and I turned to the side to see if Nathan was planning on talking soon. But of course he was still having that stubborn expression on his face and still had his arms crossed in front of his chest.

It was obvious that he didn't plan on talking in the near future. But I could change that.

I raised my hand and hit his right leg as hard as I could.

Nathan groaned with pain and I smirked when I saw that it must have been a good hit.

"What was that for?" He asked and looked at me with an angry expression.

"Well, she asked you something and I want you to answer her."

"And what if I don't want to answer her?"

"You have no reason not to answer her."

"She's pregnant and didn't even tell me about it." He yelled and made me cringe.

But he couldn't scare me by raising his voice and so I just yelled back.

"Of course she didn't tell you about it. The last time you contacted her was shortly after you've moved to Los Angeles and that was almost two years ago."