Chapter Two

Chapter two

I’m an idiot.

At least, he wasn’t following me. When I got close to the forest entrance, I shifted back and put on my clothes. Then I started to run to school. I had to tell Lily.

I doubt that the prince would want me though. My heart started hurting when I thought of him rejecting me. Why would he want somebody like me? I was a chubby girl with black hair and was really short. I also had glasses which made me look like a nerd. He deserves a supermodel, not me. He didn't even chase me, which is one sign that he wouldn't want me. He looked happy to find me though so why didn't he?

Wait, that means he goes to school on Monday? Oh joy, kill me. Luckily, when you’re in your human form you find out who your mate is when there’s contact. At least I think that happens. I don’t know if it still happens if you already met your mate through wolf form. Wolves can smell their mate when they’re nearby. So that means I’m not shifting ever again. I’m hoping that when he comes into school, he doesn’t recognize my scent.

Was this called rejecting though? Do I really want to reject him?

No, of course I don’t. But he deserves somebody better. I was antisocial and shy. Nobody wants that as a queen. A part of me really wanted to be with him.

When I got inside the school, the bell rang and I went to find Lily. It was lunch right now I think so I went into the cafeteria. I ran to her table, ignoring the stares of other people. They were probably wondering why I was running.

“Lily,” I say panting.

“Hey Grace,” She smiles. “How was your run?”

I sighed and tried to regain my breath. “I don’t even know if it was supposedly good or bad.”

She stared at me confusingly. “What do you mean?”

I looked at the others sitting with us. They were chatting among each other. The only one who was listening to us was Dean. We usually sat by humans but he was a wolf too. I guess I can trust Dean, seeing as he has been a close friend of ours. I eyed both of them and they instantly knew that it had wolf matters. So, we all got up and exited the café.

We head to the library. Before they could ask what happened I said, “I think I found my mate.” Dean’s eyes widened and Lily formed a grin.

“That’s awesome!” Lily exclaims. Dean smiled at me but it didn’t reach his eyes. I glanced questionably at him but decided to ignore it.

“But,” I added.

“But?” Dean says.

“I don’t know if we could be together.”

“What makes you think that?” Lily gives me an outrageous look.

“He deserves somebody better.”

“Grace,” Dean says softly, “Why would you think that?”

“I’m not suited to be his mate.”

“Tell me his name and I’ll tell you if you are or aren’t!” Lily says almost shouting.

I sighed. “Well, I think it’s the prince.”

“The next alpha king?” Dean questions.

“Oh my god, I knew it!” Lily shouts and tackles me into a hug. “I think you would be the best-est queen in the whole wide world, Grace!”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re just saying that because I’m your best friend.”

She glares at me. “I’m just saying that because you will be a great queen. Hell, you are the smartest student in 11th grade! They need someone smart to rule the population.”