Ch12

Ch12

Bella walked into the room to see Blakely sitting on the bed, in her pajamas, staring off into space. She let out a sigh and changed into her own pair of pajamas then shook her hair free from the pony tail. Then, she sat next to Blakely on the bed.

“You okay?” She asked as she placed a hand on her knee.

Blakely looked down. “Thou shalt not kill…how do you do it? How do you do this knowing you’re breaking one of the commandments? I mean, we were raised on them, how can you just let them go?”

Bell looked down as she started to play with her thumb nails. Her eyebrows furrowed in slight frustration. “I haven’t let them go…every time I put a bullet through someone I say a silent prayer for them, hoping that I didn’t just take a father away from a little girl or boy…a husband from a wife… but I do it because it’s my job…Because if I don’t do it, more and more people are going to get hurt… Blakely, if you didn’t pull the trigger when you did I’d be floating in a river, dead… Blakely…I hate to say it, because we always look for the good in people…but sometimes there is no good in people. Sometimes people are just lost causes to the world. Do I believe that they could be saved, sure…maybe one day…but that day would come after the fact they caused harm to millions of people…”

Blakely looked up at her. “…Did you feel this way your first time?”

“…No…I didn’t…It’s different between us…I had gone through months of training and psyche tests that prepared me for it……I was 20 when I was recruited, 21 when I was enlisted. I spent a year behind a computer, then on my 22nd birthday I went on my first mission with an agent named James Tyson…I was already good friends with Tyson. He had looked out for me in the office.”

“What happened to him?”

Bella looked over at Blakely. “…He tried to kill me…We were on a mission to retrieve a…well that’s top secret. But when I went to grab the artifact, he put a bullet in my leg.” She said as she rolled up her sweats to expose a scar on her right thigh.

“I’ve never even noticed it before.”

“Most people don’t…Tyson said that the only reason he didn’t put the bullet in my heart, was because I reminded him of his daughter. When I watched him walk out of that room with the artifact, I knew he was a double agent and if I didn’t stop him something bad was going to happen. So I did what I was trained to do and I shot him… If killing one means saving a dozen, you do what you gotta do.”

“So what now?”

“…nothing. You do nothing. There’s nothing you can do to bring them back, or to turn back time and figure out an alternative ending. You just try to forget, and hope that one day you can move on…therapy helps.”

Blakely sighed. “Gosh, when did you get so wise?”